Coming off Gabapentine

Hi I have been on Gabapentine for two and a half years of 3 X 300 mgs but I keep getting water infections and my hair is getting thin, I have decided to come off it and have consulted my Dr who said to miss one out a day for a month then miss 2 out for a month then come off all together I wondered if anyone else has weaned their selves off this med and what the side effects and pain management they used after ?

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Kjb121 , I've never been on this med but I do wish you the very best!! I hope you find find it to difficult.Take care and be blessed. Peck.🐤

• Hi Kjb121- I tried gabapen and pregab-oh boy I was like a zombie!! I weened off over 2 months but I was only on a lower dose than you. go with it as your g.p says so as to avoid withdrawal. I found tramadol with paracetamol a good pain relief but eventually I stopped those (weened off again as one is an opiate) I now just have co dydramol for pain, I found aquatics my best friend for relieving stiffness and sore muscles. I am never pain free and sometimes I have cortisone injections for other ailments which do give me a lift and a bit more energy ( I think a famous cyclist did this recently)!!! Good luck, slowly slowly don't, make yourself suffer!!

• Hello Kjb121

Would you mind me asking you a slightly personal question? We can do this via private message if you'd prefer.

As someone that has had more urine infections, severe UTI's (so bad I was hospitalised) and other problems with my bladder, do you mind me asking if you need to pass urine a lot?

If so, there is a medication that you can take for this.

Since I have been taking that medication, my infections have gone down by about 90 per cent.

If you would prefer to discuss this via a private message, please feel free to message me.

I have had withdrawal symptoms from Pregabalin (which is the sister drug to Gabapentin) for about 6/7 weeks.

I am on a lot of different pain meds as my Fibro pain is very severe along with osteoarthritis and hyper mobility syndrome so I wouldn't know what different medication to suggest you take.

Different pain killers work for different people. Unfortunately it is a case of trial and error as to what works for each individual.

Wishing you less pain and more peace

Lu x

Admin

• Ive been on gabapentin twice (weaned off initially as I wasn't getting any benefit. I'm now back on them and noticed both times that my hair is thinning and falling out. Is this a normal side effect? X

• Quartzpendulum I don't believe it is one if the side effects listed but I am on the sister drug Pregablin and I used to have masses if hair and it is definitely had the thickness it was and very fly away. I had put it down to my different illnesses and the combination of all the other meds. I take although I am sure other people have mentioned that the same has happened to them.x

• Yes hair thinning is a side effect I'm just come to the conclusion that I would be on them for life if I didn't do anything I have been given some anti-inflammatorys which I would rather take on a daily basis as and when I need them.

• Hi my friend

I have never taken Gabapentin but I ma on Pregabalin and my doctor wanted me to bring it down and I was instructed to do exactly the same as you. I want to sincerely wish you all the best of luck, and please take care of yourself.

All my hopes and dreams for you

Ken

• Im on 3600mg daily gabapentin. I find that they make me a bit spaced out. My first 4x300mg in morning are important as it gets me motivated for the day cause if didnt i be house bound with stiffness and agony. Spaced out or agony. I can cope with the slightly spaced out better than agony. Damned if u do damned if u dont. Hope u get off gabapentin mentally and physically safe. Marty.

• I wouldn't miss any day.You need to reduce it gradually .I am on Pregabalin and was told to reduce it by 50 mg a day and went into severe drug withdrawal symptoms. I'm now reducing by 25mg which is fine.

You may also like...