New to

Hi I'm new to F.A, I have been diagnosed this week of having FM I have been suffering with pain for the last two and a half years after seeing neurologist and having various scans and tests I would like to know if its usual for a g.p to come up with this diagnosis or should I have seen a rheumatologist to be diagnosed I feel after nearly 3 years I have waisted everyone's time and just been told that's it and get on with it.

15 Replies

  • I personally was diag by a rheumy consultant, but since joining this site I've learnt that your dr can diag you.

    The mother page is good for info, the NHS have a web page also.

    I hope it all works out for you.

    Good luck and best wishes.

  • Yes me too, then the rheumatologist referred me back to my Dr and left me to get on with it, I hope you get some answers,, take care

    Welcome to the site

  • Hi I had scans x rays mri then seen rhymatoid Dr she examined took blood and told me if anything showed up in bloods she would contact the me if not I would be referred back to gp i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia by gp as nothing showed up in blood hope this helps ☺

  • Just find it hard to except that when you find it hard to walk to far or lift your arm up to clean your teeth that the Dr just seem to wash their hands of you I'm on gapapentine which I don't like being on and amytripaline is this what I have to be on a day to day/ year to year ?

  • Maybe not Kjb I was diagnosed 20 years ago by a rheumatologist. I had all the tender points. I'd never heard of Fybromyalgia. I was given Amytriptyline I felt like a zombie. I didn't take them. I was also given Ibuprofen to take when needed.

    Over the years I didn't take any meds and realised Fibro had got better. Just getting very fatigued days on odd occasions. Over the years my PsA got worse and so has the OA plus spinal stenosis. I'm in a lot of pain. I wouldn't call it Fibro pain. If it is it's all mingled in together!

    So, back to you it might go away and you will not need meds only for possible flares.

    I wish you pain free in the future you never know 😉


  • I was diagnosed initially by my gp. I then had to see a rheumy for the 'official' diagnosis.

    I'm sorry that you've been diagnosed with fibro. I hope you find this site helpful. Everyone here is friendly and helpful. There's usually someone who can provide information that's helpful. Take care.

  • Hi and welcome! ! I'm from the US and was diagnosed by by gp. I do receive treatment at a pain center.Good luck.Peck 🐤

  • can be either or, my Dr diagnosed me and my rheumatologist confirmed it, as for the go away and get on with it, sometimes I wonder if it because they simply dont know what to do with you. Im lucky in as much as I have a very good Doctor and our Surgery is excellent I hope you get on okay. Lyzzie x

  • You haven't wasted any ones time, I was diagnosed at a joint rheumatology and neurology appointment many years ago, I'm now seen periodically by a neurologist, I expect to be seen less in future as you quite likely know there is no cure only treatments which can take time to find the right combination for you. I would also like to reassure you that Fibromyalgia is a real diagnosis as in the past many of us have been dismissed as imagining it all. So welcome to the forum, the best I have ever come across, everyone is friendly and helpful. Lou xx

  • Hi Kjb121

    Welocme to the forum and it is wonderful to make your acquaintance. I have pasted you a link below to our mother site, FMA UK which hosts load so of useful Fibro information:

    I was wondering if you have asked your GP for a referral to a Rheumatologist? If not, I would ask them and see how it goes? I want to sincerely wish you all the best of luck, and please take care of yourself.

    All my hopes and dreams for you


  • Thank you for all of your replies you are all very supportive I will push for a rymuetatoigist appointment when I'm feeling a bit more stronger just feeling a bit low from the outcome and being passed about from one to anothother, would like to see rheumatologist even if its just to find out if he could give me something to put on hands/arms to strengthen them and ease the pain.

  • Good luck my friend! And please take care of yourself!

  • Hello and Welcome....I am sure you will get many answers and support from this group..I know I do!!

    Hope your day is a good one for you...


  • Hi welcome. I have had my pain since 2005 & I have never been diagnosed for my Chronic Pain. I have found that my GP has been 1st class with my ongoing problems. I was told from day one that I would find it very hard to find anyone who would believe me. To be honest I thought that with us in the 20th centrey treating Pain would be no problem. (Boy how wrong was I)

    Please let me know if I can help you further???


  • Hi. If the GP or other specialists have done the relevant tests then diagnosis is often by process of elimination. Sometimes the GP gives that final diagnosis. My GP gave mine as she said that if she referred me to rheumatology they would reject the referral if the tests were negative.

    It seems to vary from area to area but ultimately the tests are the same whether give by GP or rheumatology.

    It's the GP that will be the primary carer with usually a referral to a pain management clinic.

    You will get a lot of support here as well as useful information



You may also like...