i'm getting lost in all those terms and definitions of reproductive medicine word

my husband and I want to have a child the case is I have a genetic muscular atrophy and I know there's a chance of inheriting my disease in my babies

as i was researching, PGS can be a solution for us. also thought about egg donation (an idea of mu MIL)

Is here anyone who opted PGD or PGS for your own embryos?

What are the costs? Guarantees?

How long does the whole process take?

Is it safe for embryos?

Please tell your experience

thank u

it's very important for us now, we're getting lost in this new world of assisted reproduction medicine

5 Replies

• Quite a few clinics offer screening. Their prices vary greatly between clinics. You might get an idea by looking at the website "what clinic". They'll be able to tell you who does embryo screening. I know a couple clinics abroad that are good do it as well.

It will be between you and your hubby whether to try this first or go straight over to egg donation. Decisions aren't easy are they?!

• Hi SheriWell. Lots of decisions to make here,especially when it is only natural to want to have your own genetic baby. if you have a look at the following, all your questions will be answered. Always remember too, that in spite of any tests/investigations, at the end of the day it is all down to implantation, whether with your own embryos or ones using donated eggs. Lots to think about, but I do wish you both HUGE luck! Diane

• Hi Diane

How can you improve the chances of implantation? I know of some women who've had PGS tested embryos transferred and they haven't implanted.

• Hi Marisa. this depends upon your consultant's preference. Some advise to take a low-dose soluble aspirin daily. Some prescribe "Clexane" - heparin to prevent any clot formation in the lining of the womb, and some prescribe low-doses of prednisilone (steroid) to boost your immune system. More involved treatments are usually offered after several failed IVF attempts. Diane

• The cost of ivf combined with PGS NGS is about 5 000 Euro (invitro clinic in Gdansk/Poland)