Living with Fatty Liver and NASH
2,756 members435 posts

Fatty Liver...Help Me!

My mom just called and told me that her Doctor told her she has a fatty liver and they need to do more test/blood work. I'm worried. Can a fatty liver be reversed? My mom is not a huge woman. She's probably a size 20, if smaller. What can be done in this situation.

Help!

17 Replies
oldestnewest

Yes, a fatty liver can be reversed. I looked on YouTube and there are number of presentations about fatty liver. The person has to change their diet and not eat sugars and carbs. It's important to eat protein and vegetables. It can take three years to regenerate the liver.

11 likes

Thank. You so much, I appreciate it!!!

1 like

I am new to HL & I have the same issue as Hootyow155 mother has! I am currently on my new "Lifestyle" which includes changing my diet & taking Spin classes & losing weight along with strength training this process was been a process! I am happy to have found this group

3 likes

I'm trying to lose weight as well, what are you doing to lose?

Hi! I am eating Chicken, Shrimp, Turkey & as much protein I can get, along with Vegetables & fruit, 8 months ago when I was diagnosed I cut out breads, pasta & all deserts no carbs. I do Spin class 3 to 4 days a week I have lost 11 pounds & this has been a very slow process for the past 7 months! I tried Weight Watchers that was not for me & now I am trying my new "Lifestyle" And trying to find out what type of diet I need to be on with NAFLD. If you know where a copy of the diet is let me know.

5 likes

Sounds like you are doing well. No alcohol either.

I lost 8 lbs in 9 days when diagnosed with fatty liver. Told me to lose weight. But I'm not feeling well. Lost too much I think too fast. Trying to eat a little more now & more gradual loss.

4 likes

Great to have you here!

3 likes

Hi

I have to point out (forum and logical rules) that nobody can give any real medical advice, simply personal experience.

Please don't panic at this diagnosis. It says that there is more than average fat in the liver and not a diagnosis of anything worse.

Follow this link and you will find publications from the British Liver Trust which will answer most of your questions.

britishlivertrust.org.uk/pu...

Rita x

9 likes

Thanks that is really helpful info!

1 like

Thank you very much for the information! There is a lot of info there I will definitely review!

3 likes

You're more than welcome

2 likes

Good advice Rita :)

1 like

LOTS And do it now. Your job is to learn all you can and you evidently are doing that. Your Mom needs to see a gastoenterologist that specializes in livers. After the testing he will know what to do. MANY PEOPLE HAVE THIS AND MOST CAN BE HELPED BY DIET CHANGE....and of course stop ALL alcohol. The Dr will help you too. Your seem to be a special daughter..your Mom is lucky to have you. GOOD LUCK!

3 likes

Hey, you mum needs to watch her diet, do a bit of resesech about fatty liver & diets :) It can be reversed if caught early! The Drs will take care of her now they know :) Try not to worry to much! I know how hard that is! try to make sure she looks after herself! & look after you as well:)

1 like

Same here....Same situation....try not to worry.....more test to go

There is evidence that obesity (BMI>30) is clearly linked to fatty liver. That said, a number of people who are not particularly heavy can also develop fatty liver - just much harder to tell/diagnose. Ideal is a Fibroscan report to show exactly high much fat content is in the liver. Another tool is FLI (fatty liver index) which combines four separate metrics as a means of predicting steatosis (liver fat composition).

New product for fatty liver and discussion of this condition can be found at Hepaxa-USA.com. Hope this is helpful.

You may also like...