Endometriosis UK
38,070 members33,278 posts

Should I still be paid in recovery time for laparoscopy!?

Anyone know my rights for the above? I am going to speak with my manager but is laparoscopy recovery time still counted as being “sick”?

Thanks x

8 Replies
oldestnewest

My understanding is that yes it's counted as being sick so depending on what your contact states re-sick pay will depend on if that's statutory sick pay or if your company pay you like normal (tge second is unusual but some companies do)

I work for a very small company so i wondered if that’s why I haven’t been paid? But should I be entitled to something regardless? X

I was offered a sick note after my laparoscopy so yes I'm sure it is. It was counted in my sickness record.

I also obtained a sick note from my surgeon signing me off for 2 weeks but still didn’t get anything? X

I would have thought that statutory sick pay would kick in but only after the first 3 days (I think).

May be worth looking it up on the government website.

Yes I’m going to contact them on Monday. Was just a bit of a shock when i saw I’d not been paid even half of what I normally am! X

I can understand that, especially when you have bills to pay that aren't halved because you're sick. Hopefully it will be backdated for you.

Yes it counts as being sick. Sick leave is for anything that stops you from being able to work. Check your contract and any other documents (my company puts sick pay in a different document so they aren't contractually obligated to provide it) to see if there is anything there which gives you more than statutory sick pay, which is the minimum you should get.

This is a link to the government website like someone else suggested (I have it saved from when I was researching for myself)

gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay

Do you have a HR department? If you do go speak to them, if not find out who does payroll and speak to them.

You may also like...