Endometriosis UK
42,165 members35,748 posts

When to take Bowel Prep?!

Hi ladies!

I have my second op on Tuesday to excise the endometriosis (stage 4, all over my bowels and POD) and I have been told to take Citrafleet bowel prep, which I didn't have to do for my diagnostic lap, but I have been given 2 conflicting instructions on when to take them! I emailed the endo nurse at my hospital and she is out of office!!!!

I was told by my nurse to take the Citrafleet 6-8 hours apart and to check the leaflet for what times.

The leaflet says to take it at 5pm and 6am - this is not 6-8 hours apart! I am also worried that if I take the Citrafleet at 6am, I wont be able to travel as I need to be at the hospital for 7am. Help!!!

6 Replies
oldestnewest

I didn't take that one but I did take picolax. I took my first sachet at 12pm and second sachet at 4.30pm. I was in for a morning operation, had to be there at 7am and went down at 10.30am. I not sure what the differences between the two medications are but I agree with you it sounds like those instructions might be for an afternoon appointment? Cos I was on the loo for hours after my second sachet. Is there any way you can ring the surgeons PA? I googled my surgeons name and found his PA's number when I needed to query something.

My leaflet is for Citrafleet and Picolax so I think they are similar. Thanks for the info :) I think those times would be more manageable.

Oh great idea, I didn't think about that! I will email her now as she's probably gone home for the day but would love for these times to be confirmed.

1 like

Im not sure what bowel prep I had last year for my colonoscopy but it had instructions for a morning and afternoon noon appointment so I followed the morning appointment times. It's horrible stuff and I am dreading having to have the stuff again when I go in for my first lap. xx

Mine doesn't give times unfortunately! And it keeps referring to a colonoscopy which I am not having so I feel that for a lap the instructions might be different. Do you remember what times you took your bowel prep? xx

I had to take it the night before. I had instructions not to eat. I had to take the first sachet (mixed in a jug) within two hours so had a glass of mix then a glass of water followed by a full glass of water when Id finished the first jug. Leave an hour and then mix the second sachet and do the same until all gone. I put the jug of prepared sachet into the fridge while drinking and just topped up. It was a suggestion I found online by someone else who had gone for a colonoscopy. Not sure it helps but I'd finished by midnight.

Thanks so much for the info! That does sound like the best way to do it :) x

1 like

You may also like...