No sick pay

Hi! Girls

Can any one help me please, I had my laproscopic operation on 9 march,my left ovary and Fallopian tube was removed along with gave me 4 weeks sick note.

I gave the note to my employer but he didn't pay any sick leave money to me,says he can't pay where as I earn 160£ a week so I don't understand why I don't qualify for ssp?

I don't understand what to do? I like working there so don't want to have any problems.Is there any one who could guide me please on what to do?


5 Replies

  • Hi Tasnim, it sounds like you're under the threshold for SSP, your employer should have provided you with an SSP1 form which you will need to take to the job centre to receive your SSP directly from them. Hope you feel better soon xx

  • Not sure how it works in the UK...sorry darl...u should have atleast what we call UiF -unemployment fund for extended leaves of absence?

  • Hi, it depends on your employment contract; some firms do not have occupational sick pay but you can claim statutory sick pay (of around £85 per week); you will need to submit your claim to the local benefits office. Some employers will pay this and claim the money back from the government but it's not automatic with all employers. Most large companies do and public bodies (i.e. NHS, police, councils, etc.). However, you will not be paid for the first three days of absence, even if covered by a medical certificate. Hope that helps.

  • Hi, my employer said he can't claim the ssp so he can't give me,so can I my self claim will there be any problem if I do so.he won't kick me out from work because it is very difficult to find job nowadays.i don't understand what to do? I have bills to pay have old dad in India whom I have to send money every month I am very upset as this is what I got in return after working for 12 years.

  • Your employer can claim the SSP back through their payroll. If you ask for the SSP1 form you can claim this directly from the job centre x

You may also like...