I am 37 with 2 kids 11 and 7. I have suffered really badly over the past year with my periods with them varying from 21 to 28 days lasting around 7 days and are extremely heavy and painful. I am also passing large clots. I saw my GP who arranged a trans vaginal ultrasound which showed fibroids and adenomyosis. I am due to see the GP in a couple of weeks to go through options. I have read that the main options are coil, pill or hysterectomy. I didn't get on with the coil and pill in the past and I would like a hysterectomy. I know this may seem extreme, but my family is complete (husbands already had a vasectomy) and from what I see most options after a while lead to a hysterectomy anyway. Do you think the GP will agree?

5 Replies

• Hi i think you have a strong case, adenomyosis can be cured by a hysterectomy your gp should send you to a gyneocologist to discuss your options

• Do remember to hold on to the ovaries - don't consent to them being removed - just the uterus needs to go for adeno to be removed. Keeping the ovaries will mean you avoid the need for HRT for decades to come.

I agree with annelou - seems no reason why they would refuse the hysterectomy if you have already tried the alternative options without success and the family is complete too.

• Hi im in same position as you recently diagonosed with adeynomoysis, im going to c gynie in Dec hoping hyster will b 47.

• My GP has been great and has referred me. I am lucky as my husband has private insurance so I have my appointment on 18th Nov, maybe on 11th if there is a cancellation. I can but hope, I just want my life back now

• Yes, I agree, make sure the surgeon doesn't remove your ovaries!

You may also like...