Log in
Endometriosis UK
38,128 members33,301 posts

Hi, has anybody experienced a specialist saying their endo is now "cured" after a laparoscopy? I have been told my pain is "bad periods"

This is my first post so apologies if a common question- I was diagnosed in August last year with endo and an ovarian cyst and had it removed in December after months of pain, since my laparoscopy I have experienced the same pains and my bleeding is worse, the specialist dismissed it as bad periods pains and refused the idea that my endo would have returned/not been fully removed so early. My Dr has said that is not true but I am not just on tramadol, cocodamol, menefamic acid and tranxamic acid 3/4 of the time which is not idea, has anbody experienced similar or am I just being melodramatic like I was accused by the specialist?!

3 Replies

Hi ALoLa,

I don't think you're being melodramatic. If you're in pain...you're in pain and that's a fact. I can't think that you'd be popping all those pills for fun. Many women on the forum report a return of endo pain soon after a treatment op.

Cysts can be drained....and they refill causing all the old problems to return very quickly. They can sometimes be lasered....and grow back. The best method is cutting them away. Some endo cannot be seen even during an op and will continue to grow.

What sort of 'specialist' were you treated by? General gynae or accredited endo specialist? Some gynaes (not all of them) can be a bit useless when it comes to endo. Some endo specialists aren't perfect either.

Your Dr (I assume your GP) is your best bet. Ask for a referral to an accredited endo specialist for further opinion because the last one did not solve the problem. Choose one here bsge.org.uk/ec-BSGE-accredi... or a provisional one here bsge.org.uk/ec-BSGE-provisi...

I think it's a clear case of a 'specialist' out of his depth and having the temerity to blame his patient whom he has failed to treat and resorts to abuse instead. Sounds like something out of George Orwell's 1984.

Good luck and try to get a diagnosis from someone else. x


...you need a supportive GP - so switch GPs if your current doctor is a dinosaur who cannot be bother to read up on the disease. and get transferred to an endometriosis specialist surgeon rather than a standard gynaecology surgeon.


Thank you both- it was a gynae specialist rather than an endo guy who also mentioned his wife said he wasn't very sympathetic with "female problems" surely that's his job! I will ask to be referred to an endo specialist, even if privately it would be worth it. My dr is supportive and as I am 28 they are looking more at the fertility route and short term options at the moment- I have been told I should try to conceive within a year of my lap but not sure I am ready yet!! Only time will tell, thank you again for your advice it is nice to know someone out there understands!


You may also like...