Is this an allergy? or some sort of long lasting cold?

Over the last few months, I can't stop sneezing, and my nose won't stop running. my eyes have also been much more itchy and watery than usual (I have dry eyes, and the drops I have for that don't help), and I have also got a cough on and off. I feel slightly light headed and tired sometimes as well. Antihistamines haven't helped much the few times I've taken them (usually just after I've had a bout of sneezing, they help keep it off for a while but never stop it for longer than an hour), and I've kept a list of what seems to set me off, most of the time it's either dust or plants. Does this sound like an allergy? Or some sort of cold/bug that's just long lasting and won't go away?

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Do you he a constant runny nose ? This happened to me a few years ago and I had apparently suddenly become allergic to house dust ..lasted about a year and was on ani histamine and a nasal spray. Diagnosed with rhinasitis. Went as suddenly as it started

• as I said in another post someone else asked a similar question.. it could be allergic rhinitis... which is basically all year long hayfever... could just be an allergy... ask your Dr.. he may prescribe nasal sprays which help me a lot... I also take Montelukast which helps too...

• Over the past few weeks there has been a lot of tree pollen around. Apparently the nose and eyes are the most affected as they are in contact with the pollen. I have recently read that if you live in a town where there is a lot of traffic the particulates that are part of the diesel exhaust pollution, combine to make the effect worse. I have had similar symptoms plus breathing difficulties. Over the counter hay fever remedies appeared to do more harm than good. I have seen my GP and I am having a thorough investigation