With better understanding of the disease & advances in the management, better quality of life can be achieved with minimum medication.
Life style modification is essential for the successful management of diabetes. About 30 percent of diabetics can control the disease without medication if they follow diet planned by an expert, performing exercise/Yoga for at least 30 minutes – minimum 5 days a week, maintaining ideal body weight and living stress free life. In remaining 70%, dose of medication can be reduced by 30-40%.
Rise in the blood glucose (BG) level in diabetes may be due to insulin deficiency, insulin resistance or varied combination of both. With the help of basic physical examination and primary investigations, a diabetologist can diagnose the defect in the disease. Administering appropriate therapy for the defect will control diabetes with minimum medication.
It is advisable to monitor BG levels through out the day (before & 2 hours after each major meals, occasionally 3 am) & correcting major swings in the BG levels with appropriate adjustment in the therapy, will reduce medications.
Look for other conditions responsible for elevation in BG levels like some medical conditions, certain drugs, stress etc. Correction of these conditions will reduce medications.