Diabetes India
60,041 members11,091 posts

Is Bionic pancreas the solution?

May be a bit overthinking , as a pre-diabetic, have been hearing a lot about the bionic pancreas closed loop systems all over the internet. Seems it is targetted for chronic or type1 diabetics. But it can be a hope for all. Just like the discovery of Insulin, this will change the way people manage this misery desease. As they say if it is diabetese you have to live it with 24x7. What i think the usp here is now atlast people can live a fuller life rather than living for this desease. Hoping for the good news of its release next year.

20 Replies
oldestnewest

This sounds very interesting. Thank you for sharing this with everyone.

Those who market this newfangled gimmick will probably laugh all the way to the bank.

1 like

I have LIVED with T1 from the age of 3. Now 54 & in June it will be my 52nd year of T1. Medtronic are world leaders in Insulin pumps & getting better every year.

2 likes

Yes ! seems Medtronic's is the top guys. I assume you have to now manually set insulin dosage right? Also with hypo issues, you have to follow constant reading right? Or is the system intelligent enough to compute and inject on its own?

1 like

I still have to do my dosage but it is such a weight OFF your mind. Life ? I love it & am going to talk with students at a local Uni. I volunteered & hopefully give them some inspiration ?

For the right people it will be liberating.

If you think it will be free licence to eat unlimited carbohydrate, forget it.

As with the West, India was advised to eliminate ghee or coconut oil, and you obeyed instead of tackling the foods that turn to sugar and demand excessive amounts of insulin in the body.

The ACCORD study established that high insulin is as harmful to chronic health as high blood glucose.

Defiantly Not ! I hate sweet stuff. Can you imagine being 3 in the 60s & not having a trip to the sweet shop ? I eat Seafood for England with very little carbs. 52yrs at this ?

2 likes

I was replying to Dini297, HOBIEONE.

You are a rarity, not least in your awareness that all carbs are sugar, not just the sweet stuff.

I'm not sure why I've been reported for this, because it was meant to be praise.

Agree, but Which has more proximity,diet or heriditary? Are all foodies diabetic or all diabetics foodies? Just want to state the need for a breakthrough, insulin has been discovered in 1920's.How long we have to count carbs!

2 likes

I think it's just a question of perspective. If we ate carbs in the quantity they were originally available to us in nature we probably wouldn't have to count carbs at all phcuk.org/wp-content/upload...

Very good point, coffeeday. Thank you for bringing this up.

I will send a message to you soon. It’s okay.😀👍

Please check your private messages. It’s okay!😀👌👍

Perfectly said!😀👍

In reply to "Neither all foodies are diabetic nor all diabetics are foodies . It is some thing different which makes one a diabetic , probably the difference in the hormonal secretion of Pituitary gland or defective metabolism in some due to the deficiency of minerals like chromium ,magnesium , cobalt."

Or the hormonal secretion from the pancreas from what we eat, which we have direct control over.

I would just like to explain my view please coffeeday.

When we eat high glycaemic foods, the sugar load to the body is high for everyone. A 'normal' metabolism will then respond with high amounts of insulin to get this down. If this process is repeated enough times the body will be accumulating visceral fat that blocks the insulin sensors. This is insulin resistance, where higher and higher amounts of insulin are released to cope for the same glycaemic-load. This accounts for much of the individual difference in our hormonal secretion to a specific glycaemic load.

By the time someone has prediabetes, the body is having difficulty keeping blood glucose levels normal because this insulin resistance has grown to such an extent that the body can no longer cope with the amount of carbohydrate being eaten.

Full blown type 2 diabetes, as Ivor Cummins puts it, is when the wheels have come off.

So what we have is people all along this continuum, with people having insulin resistance thinking they can eat what they like until they get a symptom, such as arthritis/gout, PCOS, osteopenia/osteoporosis, heart disease, cancer, or other associated conditions. They may never get prediabetes, but if they do it is another symptom of how severe there condition has become.

Your last point is crucial. We can't directly regulate the hypothalamus, we can control the release of insulin :-)

I have counted carbs all my life & do not like someone (concerned) making comments about Sugar & Carbs. Please do not comment on thing you don't know about & HAVE to live with. I have been T1 for a long time you know. Well done Dini297

2 likes

May be my interpretations was misunderstood. My bad!

Do agree on the need for exercise /diet/medication. Whatever the method we choose, the aim is to bring in the perfect balance of insulin/glucagon as normal pancreas do. But how many can achieve that? If that can be done by an intelligent device, at least someone can forget this thing for a day or two!.

The guy is Edward Damiano , often referred to as 'Big foot '. His talks in ted was inspiring on this system.

Can you imagine what I have been through in my life ? T1 is very different to T2. I have to know things like others. Every min of the day I wonder where my bg is. I have never been unemployed in my Life. Many many days of stress, hard work bring up a family. 52 years of T1

1 like

You may also like...