Cure Arthritis Community
2,249 members514 posts

Dietary changes for arthritis

Has anyone explored a change in diet (low sugar, high fat, higher protein or other changes) for seronegative arthritis before embarking on medication? I also have lichen nitidus which is autoimmune and have been depressed/anxious most of my life. I believe that it has a lot to do with diet.

16 Replies
oldestnewest

I have tried numerous diets recommended for RA. None worked for me, but I wouldn't want to discourage you as dietary changes appear to help a few folk. Dairy free helps my sinus issues but nothing touches my RA other than prescription drugs.

1 like

Thank you. It really seems like there are more diseases within the arthritis category than are currently recognised. Maybe one day science will catch up. I am in a position to give nutrition a try and even my rheumatologist is reluctant to move me on to the next drug so I feel like I have nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying. Thanks for helping to create the balanced picture.

1 like

I definitely feel better when I completely avoid dairy and sugar. I have horrible will power so if and when I slip up, 24 hours later I feel it in my feet and back. I am on humira and cymbalta. Not sure diet alone would help me even if I was strict about my eating. But it definitely helps.

2 likes

Dr. Douglas Lisle’s work ( healthunlocked.com/nras/pos... ) may help put the dairy 🥛 🧀 🍦 , sugar 🍭 🍰 🍫, etc. cravings (deep rooted ‘addictions’) into context, kattat7? 🤔

It’s not necessarily lack of ‘will power’, but overriding biological forces driving us toward troublesome behaviours (bad habits). 😳

Fascinating, mind-blowing stuff. 🤯

😌 🙏 🍀 🌺 🌞

3 likes

Everyone is different on how they respond to food. I went to a nutritionist who gave me an elimination diet based on inflammatory foods. I can't eat wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant or peppers. I can eat corn and dairy once/week. I was diagnosed with RA in 2011 and am seronegative.

2 likes

Hi Sue-Dee

Thanks for the reply. Please can you tell me, how has the change in your diet affected your condition?

1 like

When I do eat any of those foods, my joint pain increases. If I stay away from them, the joint pain is much less.

2 likes

Thanks so much. This is so helpful. x

1 like

I went to a registered dietitian and was very disappointed with the advice. I ignored it and continued down a whole-food plant-based route with minimal oils. Now drug free & pain free for over six months.

3 likes

This is what concerns me. The regstered dieticians aren't going far enough.

1 like

exactly - they regurgitate what they have been told with insufficient nuance for the illness itself.

2 likes

yes, trying to eat much less sugar! I really believe healthy eating is key to feeling better!!!!!

1 like

I ate clean for 6 weeks and then individually tried reintroducing different foods that’s are supported send triggers. For me, dairy is not the issue and gluten doesn’t trigger either; although I do feel better being gluten free, lest bloat. However, preservatives bed and nitrates are a huge flare up for me. So I stay FAR away from any processed foods and foods with antibiotics, etc.

2 likes

Thank you for your helpful reply. I'm going to take control of my health and wellbeing again. My rheumatologist doesn't seem opposed to the idea either 😊

1 like

Just to give an update, I am now 5 months into having elimination. I stopped eating processed foods. Cut out gluten, soy, dairy, eggs, corn, refined sugar, caffeine and alcohol and I honestly feel a lot better. My mind is sharper and my inflammation is greatly reduced. I think I I slipped up a few times recently and that has led to return of the swelling and psoriasis as well as the lichen nitidus but for a while was close to no signs of any of these diseases. I think it is the right way to go but I had setbacks with a stomach bug from my kid who is at nursery. I started craving sugar and carbs and think I over-ate. I hope to keep going with it as it beats the alternative!

A further update now 8 months of clean eating with the odd slip ups. I've learned that reduction in sugar and carbs has really helped. The moment I increase sugar intake or carb intake, I notice swelling and gassiness. Dairy and eggs have also been problem foods. Gluten seems to cause inflammation very quickly and it lasts a few days. I eat mainly organic, grass-fed meat and large amounts of vegetables. A little fruit daily. Magnesium l-threonate has been really helpful and so has collagen. I have my life and my brain back! Now I just need to keep the stress low as this causes small flare ups. I also take vitamin D3, K2, A and E and Turmeric.

It's a lot better than sulfasalazine side effects!

You may also like...