Feeling unwell after running? Mental barrier?

Tonight I completed W8R1 (yay!) but have noticed that this evening, and after the last run I did, I've been feeling headachey and a bit under the weather a few hours later - enough to notice. My recovery period is also longer - I left a two day rest period this week because my calves were hurting so much. I don't like running in the heat. Does anyone else find this with the longer runs? Is it my body adjusting to running further, or am I getting heat stroke?! I sometimes find it difficult to know if I am facing a mental barrier or should listen to my body.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I had a headache yesterday after running in the sun - I'd taken water with me and drank loads when got home.. but I still had a nagging headache for most of the evening - I'm convinced it's dehydration.....

• Thanks Steve, you're probably right. It feels like I've had gallons of water but it's pretty hot out there :-/

• It is sometimes difficult to know if you are making excuses or being sensible ! The heat makes a huge difference, in my experience. Don't try and match the speed/pace you achieved on cooler runs - start off very slowly and gently and build up when/if you feel able. Don't be afraid to slow down again. Drink regularly in the period before your run and take a drink with you if you don't usually (I always do but others don't unless they are running an hour or more). I splash my face with some of the water when I get too hot - that helps. Drink regularly after your run, too.

Do you eat after your runs ? I think you should have something as it helps with recovery.

I think you are probably right to take an extra days rest to let your calves recover and you shouldn't underestimate the effect of the heat - we've not had much practice with it this year !

Hope you feel better soon :-)

• Thanks for such a sensible and encouraging reply. I'll try not to push up my speed and will take a drink with me. I do eat after runs (try and stop me!). I'm definitely not made for the heat, I think :-) thanks again.

You may also like...