How long does it take to train for a marathon?

I know this is probably a silly question and I'm guessing it will vary from person to person, but what would be an average training period.

It will also sound silly as I can't even run 5k yet, but I'd really like to try do a marathon in the future to raise money for the MNDA even if it is in a fair few years time!

Any advice/tips would be hugely appreciated! Many thanks in advance. :)

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I suppose it depends how seriously you want to take it.

I would have thought this time next year would be feasible and not unreasonable if you are serious.

• Next year should certainly be achievable, especially if you are content with "just" getting round, rather than aiming for a time. If you Google Marathon Training Plans you will find plenty of options, including a "get you round" plan. Or look for Jeff Galloway's website, which has plans with plenty of walk breaks.

The C25K is a good place to start though :-)

• I've heard a year is the most sensible amount of time to train for a marathon starting from scratch. You should just get going with C25K then build up your distance and see how it goes. :)

• There was a link posted recently here for an inspirational video of a chap who went from being obese and unfit to marathon 9 months later. Lots of non-running training by the look of it.

You may also like...