Are tempo runs basically 'race pace' runs?

I find the long runs at easy pace are fine and intervals are fine but I really struggle keepng a faster pace (tempo)when I'm on my own. In the half marathon plan I have to do one of these a week, running for 45 minutes tempo then building it up to 50 minutes tempo and then 60 minutes tempo.

I'm not sure how I'm going to achieve this! I was thinking maybe doing parkruns, but this is only 5k and so won't be long enough. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I don't think tempo is race pace. I understood it to be somewhat between the easy conversation holding speed and race pace. Hard but sustainable.

• I see. So for example 5k easy could be 36 minutes, tempo could be 30 minutes and race pace coud be 28 minutes: does this sound about right?

• I'm obviously talking about me and not your pace!!!

• Oh stop it ;-)

But yes I think that's it.

• This article may help explain it - runnersworld.co.uk/general/...

• Thank you this really helps :)

• Hi

The web site jog.fm is good for when you have worked out your pace because you can select music to make a play list for that particular pace so that you can run to the beat as it were. Good luck, Lane

• Thanks Lane,

I have looked at jog fm, but to be honest most of the music was new to me!! (I'm an '80s or even '60s girl!) It's a great idea though and I will continue to look.

• I can't seem to get off "easy" lol!!

• Nor me; I can do 'race pace' with others around me, but anything in between easy and race is unbelievably difficult (not happening :) )

You may also like...