Are tempo runs basically 'race pace' runs?

I find the long runs at easy pace are fine and intervals are fine but I really struggle keepng a faster pace (tempo)when I'm on my own. In the half marathon plan I have to do one of these a week, running for 45 minutes tempo then building it up to 50 minutes tempo and then 60 minutes tempo.

I'm not sure how I'm going to achieve this! I was thinking maybe doing parkruns, but this is only 5k and so won't be long enough. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I don't think tempo is race pace. I understood it to be somewhat between the easy conversation holding speed and race pace. Hard but sustainable.

• I see. So for example 5k easy could be 36 minutes, tempo could be 30 minutes and race pace coud be 28 minutes: does this sound about right?

• I'm obviously talking about me and not your pace!!!

• Oh stop it ;-)

But yes I think that's it.

• This article may help explain it - runnersworld.co.uk/general/...

• Thank you this really helps :)

• Hi

The web site jog.fm is good for when you have worked out your pace because you can select music to make a play list for that particular pace so that you can run to the beat as it were. Good luck, Lane

• Thanks Lane,

I have looked at jog fm, but to be honest most of the music was new to me!! (I'm an '80s or even '60s girl!) It's a great idea though and I will continue to look.

• I can't seem to get off "easy" lol!!

• Nor me; I can do 'race pace' with others around me, but anything in between easy and race is unbelievably difficult (not happening :) )

You may also like...