First attempt at using week 1 for intervals - mixed results

Now I've graduated thought I'd have a go at using week 1 podcast for intervals to improve my speed. Did half the warm up walking and then jogged. Idea was I would run hard for the running minute and them jog for the 90 sec walk. Well I managed the gentle hill through the woods not too bad for the first minute, then did 2 separate minutes on the the school running track but ended up walking for a bit as i was feeling it in my legs. Managed to get back into the rhythm in the park but had to walk again after running up hill. Jogged the last 5 minutes again.

Overall I think I now find running for 30 minutes easier. You just keep putting one foot in front of the other. However I was aware that when trying to run a bit faster my stride length was longer and I was running more from the hips than the knees and using my arms. Didn't really come naturally but then neither did any running a few months ago.

I think I'll try doing intervals once a week and ordinary runs the rest of the time.

How have others got on?

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I ran W1 on Sunday to see how it was. I walked the walking bits but ran the 1 minutes as fast as I could which is substantially faster than my normal shuffle. I noticed the same as you about stride length and arms. I also ached the next day for the first time in about 8 weeks! I really enjoyed it and will definitely do it again for a bit of light relief from solid jogging.

• I've been enjoying doing week one again for intervals but like Katsmeat I walk the 90 seconds and run as fast as I can for the 60 seconds - I need the walking time to recover! I tried to do this on Sunday and jogged for a mile then did intervals but I found I was too tired to keep going so I went back to jogging for the last mile home - I think each time you run it can be different - I reckon I was tired from my run the day before. But running faster seems to use completely different muscles and I definitely ache in different parts of my legs afterwards!

You may also like...