Couch to 5K
79,190 members110,460 posts

One Year On From C25K Graduation

While doing C25K there may be occasions when you wonder whether you might be a bit too old, overweight or unfit to do this programme. It’s certainly not easy, especially if you have literally come off the couch.

When I started in 2018, I was 60, overweight and had been on medication for high blood pressure over 10 years. My aspirations were not high. I didn’t particularly want to run far, or fast, but I wanted to take part in the 5k Santa Run along the promenade after seeing it the year before, and I wanted to be able to run some of parkrun .

I remember not liking the running very much in the early days, but I loved the euphoria of completing each run over 9 weeks. I didn’t come across this forum until about week 7 but I was very lucky to have a husband who played hockey and ran occasionally, and he accompanied me (very slowly) and carried my water while I followed Jo Whiley’s instructions. He could walk quicker than I could run.

A year ago today, I ran W9 R3 - 4k In 30 minutes. I had graduated and I really enjoyed that run, especially as I was cheered on by an elderly man sitting on a park bench as I passed him for the 4th time. Hubby and I celebrated with an ice cream on the prom.

On 18th May I took part in my first parkrun at Southsea , which is one of the flattest in the country, and runs along the prom and back. I started with my 5 minute walk and had Jo Whiley talking me through the 30 minutes. Then I walked again until I saw the finishing line and a photographer. Well what’s a girl to do? I had to run over that line. I was elated. Saturday mornings have never been the same since and I love taking part in parkrun by either running or volunteering. To date I have volunteered 13 times and run 38 times . I have run at 4 different parkrun courses, 2 of which was to meet some lovely virtual running buddies I came to know through this forum. At each parkrun I was made to feel welcome and was cheered along the way.

I dressed up in a Mrs Santa outfit and ran that Santa Run last December and I am still running 2 or 3 times a week. I have now reached 10k with the help of the B210K forum, and after a few fun runs to raise funds for charity I took part in my first official chip timed race at the Great Bristol 10k this month. This was a fantastic experience and one that I never thought possible when I started this magical journey.

This has also rekindled my husband’s love of running and he has signed up for the 10 mile Great South Run 22 years since he last took part.

The best things though:

By September I was taken off medication by my doctor as the running had brought my blood pressure down to an acceptable level. My GP is now promoting C25K , after I told them my story.

My weight is now almost in the healthy zone again, and I have certainly lost inches of fat.

I feel so much better, both mentally and physically, and I am sleeping well again.

Running has added a new interest which I can share (or not) with my other half. We have found running routes that we didn’t know existed in our local area.

I have met some lovely people through the forums and at parkrun

I can wear flashy running gear and no one bats an eyelid.

I never thought that I would achieve all of this when I went out for the first time.

So the struggle you may be going through at the moment is totally worth it . Listen to the advice from the brilliant volunteers who give up their time to keep this forum going. Don’t be in too much of a rush to increase distance and speed. Keep on running and tell everybody how amazing C25K is. 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️🤸🏿‍♂️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️🤸‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️🐢🐢🐌🐌

Good luck everyone, you are on an amazing journey

104 Replies
oldestnewest

Thanks @Dexy5 your story is inspiring!

1 like

What an amazing post! Really inspiring. Well done to you for all your achievements, and thank you so much for posting your story here to give us all a bit of a boost.

1 like

Happy days Dexy! What a wonderful synopsis of your year. 👍😀🏃‍♀️ You’ve done absolutely tons, you’ve been a fabulous member of the forum, a lovely VRB and RB too, having met you and UpTheStanley at Southampton and, our finest hour to date, at the Great Bristol 10k! 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃 🏅 🏅 🏅

The benefits are so numerous aren’t they? You’ve definitely proved that. 👊

Here’s to many more fantastic runs, and I hope to run with you guys again very soon! ❤️

1 like

Thanks cheeky. When I started c25k I never thought that I would get here. In fact I wasn’t sure I’d be able to finish it, so I thought I would share with those on there now. I hope I haven’t gone on too long - I should have done a long ramble warning ⚠️.

1 like

Speaking as a fellow rambler, I think your post is the perfect length! 😅😅

3 likes

😂😂

1 like

Hear Hear! 🤗

2 likes

👏👏👏

Excellent job, well done! Thanks for sharing.

1 like

Inspirational Dexy. I needed to read this. Am still loving running but after a fall last week I think I’ve lost a bit of confidence. So I’m going back out this morning to just enjoy what my body can do. Thank you. 🏃🏻‍♀️❤️

4 likes

I’m sorry to hear about your fall Knittingrunner. I hope you are soon able to regain your confidence. You are just as likely to fall when walking but it happens much faster and comes more as a shock when moving faster.

1 like

Very true! I do have a bit of experience of trips and falls walking!! But just going out to go again today. Thank you. 🏃🏻‍♀️😊

1 like

Hi Dexy5,

Thank you so much for this very inspirational post. I am almost 60 (next month), always hated sport, never did it, have never run. I’m very overweight & was inspired by a friend who came to visit, so I just started this morning. Thank you so much for your inspirational message. You’ve achieved so much. I’m hugely impressed. Well done. (Hopefully it will help keep me going).

Newbeg60

3 likes

I wish you many happy runs. It is such a brilliant programme.

What a real interesting and inspiring post well done 😊

1 like

thanks

I recognise those graduates!

1 like

If everyone who graduates brings one more person onto C25K, just think how healthy our nation will be. You are my one person, and you will do this too.

4 likes

I’ve already recruited Helen up the road! So I’m on the way!

3 likes

Hey, how’s the running going Oldhirlruns? I might be wrong but I think I owe the wonderful phrase “joffling along the seafront” to you from one of your posts? I ran along Brighton seafront last week and the phrase makes me smile every time!

1 like

Thank you for asking, actually I’m IC at the mo with a little calf muscle issue but I’ll be back in a couple of weeks! Probably drop back to week 3 or 4 and see how we go. And yes, joffling along the seafront is my speciality! It’s a lovely expression isn’t it?! Hope you had fun on Brighton’s seafront!

👍😊

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm a recent graduate so it is nice to see what the future may be like. I have ambitions about where I would like to go but for now I'm just trying to get some more 5km runs under my belt and plan to be brave and do my first parkrun this weekend

1 like

If you haven't done so already, you can join the Bridge 210K forum while you are consolidating. They are a nice bunch, and you'll probably recognise some VRBs from here

Make sure you register and print off your barcode first 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️

Thanks Dexy, I was going to wait a bit before joining bridge to 10k but have taken your advice and joined now for a bit of motivation.

I registered for park run a couple of weeks back but didn't get round to going. This morning I printed off my barcodes and ordered some sheets to laminate then with

Great post Dexy5. You are a running advert for C25k and way beyond. Always generous with advice too. I am in lovely Devon today. Pulled off the A38 for a coffee and find they serve Beachcomber Gin! Pity I am on the wagon ...although 11.20 is a bit early anyway!! 😊

1 like

what lovely weather for a trip to Devon. Enjoy Beachcomber!

I have to wait for the 29th June... Dammit Dexy, you beat me again!

What a year!

You're an inspiration. God bless you and UTS with many more running years.

❤❤👏🍷🙏👣👣👣👣👣👣

1 like

There'll be a whole new batch of c25kers by then TOF, so you can tell your story too.

You're an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.

1 like

You are so close to graduating yourself. Well done.

1 like

Yes, within touching distance now and I feel a bit giddy about it! I really, really hope I'll still be running and be able to post my own "One Year On" story in May 2020!

2 likes

Ready to celebrate with you in the forum Debston....you’re nearly there. Enjoy the giddiness, well deserved euphoria 😁👍

2 likes

What an amazing journey. Your a real poster girl (!) for C25K. I’m older than you so excuse the joke! Congratulations on all your achievements

1 like

Thanks Sybil. When you are doing C25K you don't know what will be at the end of it. The answer is 'anything you want to achieve' . My peer group are running HM now but I am happy with 10ks.

I’m less specific and have OTA runs. Or there abouts. Mainly a time factor - on full time granny duties since the new year! 👶🏼

1 like

Every run counts, no matter how long. Congratulations on becoming a granny.

1 like

What a wonderful post. This running thing definitely changes our lives!

1 like

Your story is just as inspiring DiscoRunner. Well done to you.

2 likes

Ran for 30 minutes along a lakeside in the sunshine today (first post graduation run) and had to pinch myself....I’ve become a runner 🤩! C25K is literally a miracle !

3 likes

Congratulations on your graduation too. 🏃‍♀️👏👏

What an inspiring story... I have just restarted C25K again at the grand old age of nearly 63...I want to complete a race and do park runs...you have so motivated me. Thank you 😊👍

1 like

Good luck suebuzz. You are never too old .

Aah Dexy!! What an amazing experience you’ve had and you’re so supportive of everyone too!! 🥰🥰! Thank you for sharing and inspiring as always!! 🤗🤗❤️

2 likes

Thanks fab, I definitely wouldn’t have got as far as I did without the lovely support on the forums.

1 like

Me neither Dexy! Always appreciated!! ❤️

1 like

Thank you for such an inspiring post. Gives this self doubting newbie lots of hope! x

2 likes

Es we’ve all been there Mabelabe

What an amazing year Dexy5! That is so awesome that you have been able to come off your BP meds. That is wonderful! With how great this first year has been, can you imagine what the second year will bring?

2 likes

🤔

1 like

That is a very inspiring post from you Dexy5, lovely photo of you and UpTheStanley, that should help people who are in the early stages of C25K to keep going, the runiversary of my graduation run is more than a month away but as I have been telling you all I have been rerunning some of the runs of C25K, this week it's week 9.

Regards to you and UTS, 🏃👍

3 likes

Enjoy your 2nd week 9 Al.

Fabulous journey and health results worth working towards 👍😁 the other benefits, are just added bonuses! 😉😁

1 like

Dexy5, inspiring, totally inspiring ! 💐 the joy just shines out of your post. What a gorgeous story. I just graduated last week and today was first run after that....loving it. Thanks for sharing your transformational story.

2 likes

Congratulations on your graduation, and enjoy your next journey

Well done Dexy5 I am so impressed by the people on here who make such a difference to their health that they can come off medication. Kudos 👏👏👏

And thank you for continuing to help out those that are still on there C25k journey. Your support and enthusiasm are invaluable 🙂👍

1 like

That’s kind jogunlikely, I’m sure you will do exactly the same for the c25kers following you. That’s why this forum is so successful.

1 like

I can safely say that I would not have persevered without the encouragement of the amazing VRB's on here 💕

1 like

Yay!!! A whole year of a fabulous runny you. 🥳🥳🥳🥳. Now that’s worth celebrating. Happy Happy Runniversary lovely you and here’s to many happy runny adventures ahead 💕

1 like

Many thanks Wimborne, I’ll never be a gazelle like you but I keep on keeping on.

1 like

Keeping on sounds just perfect. And it makes me giggle being called a gazelle 😂.

1 like

I hope you are more comfortable now after your fall last week. Big hugs 🤗 🤗

Hugs are gratefully received 😊.

Thank you for the inspiration and encouragement. 👏🏼 I love to read these anniversary stories of people who were well on their way when I started this caper. Keeps me going to realise you are all mortals who persevered. 🎉🎉

2 likes

Oh yes Granspeed, I huffed and puffed my way through c25k wondering when I could be allowed to walk just like everyone else. It is such a brilliant programme.

1 like

Too true. Amazingly, this seems to be a case where One Size does (almost) fit All! 😄👍

1 like

Great story and you are a huge inspiration! Thank you for sharing. I am now on W6 R3 and loving the running experience and this forum. Excited to see where it takes me after I graduate :) x

Not long to go for you now bex. 🏃‍♀️👏👏

1 like

So lovely to read your post! How far we've all come in a year. I'm a couple of weeks away from my graduation anniversary. Well done!!1🍾🍾🍾😎

1 like

And well done to you too, your 1st 10k. Yay 😁🏃‍♀️👏👏

Thanks for your “story” Dexy5 - what an inspiration you are. Mirror image on the reason why I started C25K and now I have a goal to achieve in the future. Just graduated but now have the reason to keep going. Don’t know about the Park runs etc but who knows 🤐

Parkrun is not for everyone, and it very much depends on what the course is like near you. But you can always check the course on the parkrun website, and check what time the last runners come in under results.

But it’s worth going to one and watching and you’ll see how supportive the marshals are.

I am hooked.

1 like

What a brilliant, motivating, uplifting story! Thank you for sharing. :)

1 like

Many congratulations on the anniversary of your c25k graduation Dexy and for your inspiring story and enthusiasm. It has been great having the opportunity to meet up with you and UTS at Lakeside parkrun and the mutual support has been fantastic. I wish you many more years of happy running! 👍🎉😀

Thanks JonathanP, I can’t give up now can I?

Do let us know when you can come and join us at Southsea parkrun sometime- I reckon it could be your fastest time.

🏃‍♂️👏👏

I will - I think you may be right ! 🏃😀

1 like

Brilliant. 2018 was a vintage year...

It certainly was Jay - you are definitely the c25k poster boy!

HMs for you now - well done. we didn’t see this coming when we started did we?

1 like

Poster? 🤣

Boy? 🤣🤣🤣

1 like

😂😂

1 like

🤣🤣 I notice you don’t question the HMs Jay! Did you have a cunning plan???

2 likes

He’s gone and done it already TC. What a ⭐️

2 likes

What a fabulous post Dexy 😍 I think most of us graduates feel the same as you about C25k and this wonderful forum. I remember when you posted about being told you could come off your meds, it’s what it’s all about really isn’t it? Here’s to many, many more years 🤗

2 likes

Yes I was in tears that day; such wonderful news.

I hope you are feeling better now. UTS is unsure whether he is suffering from a cold or early hay fever.

1 like

Yuck. Katnap has had hay fever for ages, it’s particles high pollen this year apparently. First day I’ve felt human in a week thanks Dexy, hopefully running again by parkrun 🤞

1 like

A wonderful post and so good to hear that you feel fit, healthy and off medication!

My husband has very high blood pressure and is a lapsed runner. He is juggling medication at the moment to find a combination that works for him. Once things settle he intends to pick up his running again. When I started C25K a few weeks ago he was quite poorly and running gave me some headspace to think clearly. I gave myself the target of reaching 5K by my 50th birthday later this year. I’m now in week 7. My husband is doing well on his new medication and, with the doctors permission, is now talking about joining me as I work towards my first park run post graduation. It’ll be great to have him with me running as a duo, encouraging each other on.

Lovely photos!

Thank you for sharing your inspirational post. 😊

2 likes

I do hope I will read an anniversary post from you next year to say that you are both running and it has improved your lives too.

I was told that only 1 in a 100 people come off hypertension meds once started. I know there are quite a few on the next forum that have done it. But even a reduction in dosage is a great achievement .

I wish you well with your c25k, and hope that you both enjoy parkrun as much as I do.

🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️🏃🏿‍♀️🐕🏃‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♀️

1 like

There’s nothing like coming to the end of parkrun hand in hand Delly-dot. All the best to you and your hubby x

1 like

That hasn’t happened with UTS, since my 1st parkrun . A bit too fast for me. He has been known to run me to the finish line after his run though

1 like

Inspirational sorry, amazing

Just one of many Simon- its a great plan.

I completed the c25k a couple of weeks ago, so I’ve been re-running the last week, need to find a way to progress

Consolidation of your 30 mins for 3 weeks is recommended. But why not pop over to the bridge 210k forum and have a look at juju’s magic plan to get to 10k. It’s not an app but sets out 3 runs a week to be run in any order. You’ll probably recognise a few people over there.

1 like

Thanks I’ll take a look

Dexy, that’s an absolutely brilliant post! A huge well done to you on so many levels, you’ve achieved so much and your posts always reflect your joy and happiness about this running thing 🤗

Happy Runniversary to you, here’s to many, many more xxx

I think that’s because I am still amazed I can do it IP! 😂

Here’s to the next year 🍷

1 like

Marvellous Dexy, you have become such a great role model and a huge support in the forum. Enjoy your Runniversary🏃🏾‍♀️😎😊

1 like

Dexy5 this is such a good story. I often wonder if I'll manage to sustain the running once I graduate w9. This is really inspirational, especially to read how healthy you're feeling. I have to say that I didn't really enjoy the running straight away but its really growing on me. Thanks for your story!!!!

1 like

And I wish you well Jod13. Running does help in so many ways. You’ll be so delighted when you’ve graduated, that you’ll want to keep that feeling. There’s lots of advice from the admins on how to keep it interesting too.

1 like

Great post - you’ve inspired me and many others along the way 🏃🏻‍♀️🏃🏻‍♀️🏃🏻‍♀️

That’s kind of you, and it won’t be long until you’re up to 10k too. Best of luck! 🏃‍♀️👏👏

And you keep on getting better and healthier! 😁😁😁🏃🏃🏃😁

1 like

Thanks for sharing your story, very inspiring to those of us just starting this journey

1 like

I loved reading this ❤️. Thanks for sharing xx

1 like

You may also like...