Couch to 5K
52,816 members84,916 posts

The big break

The big break

After 10 days of Christmas, cricket and general chaos I finally got back on the programme. No guilt...guilt saps motivation. But a bit of trepidation. Would the upgrades from W7 still work?

Still, nothing to fear but fear etc so up at 7 in rural Cobram to avoid the Australian sun. Not easy but despite trying to run as slowly as possible I found I'd run faster and farther than ever before.

So, a question: when walking I've found that a slightly faster pace uses less energy...it's about hitting the right rhythm for the length of my legs or something. I haven't hit this sweet spot when running yet... Any ideas how to find it?

5 Replies
oldestnewest

There's a sweet spot? Let us know when you do find it, and how! Seriously I think I'm stuck at "why are my legs so tired even though I think I'm going slowly" pace. Nice work on getting back to it after Christmas, I also had 10 days before my last but one run!

I found when I was walking in the Lakes that upping the pace -- to the rhythm of "onward Christian soldiers" oddly, and irritatingly enough--was far less tiring than walking at a slower pace. I could really surge up those hills, it was amazing.

I'm guessing it's something to do with the length of your legs?

1 like

Probably! My "sweet spot" walking pace though, has gone up since running :)

Kudos to you for packing your runners to take on your hols...and actually running.

Yes, sweet spot, sometimes called robot legs, the running zone or my happy pace.😎

It comes after the first ten minutes or so of these longer runs and is a joy! I had robot legs today, felt like I was walking.. (I wasn't 😆)

Enjoy your runs downunder and Happy New Year. 😊x

*shame about the cricket 😯

Robot legs, love it. Had tin man legs today. More cricket tomorrow, give the poor things a break.

Happy new year to you!

1 like

You may also like...