Couch to 5K
62,472 members95,294 posts

How do you support your running?

How do you support your running?

Hi,

I was just wondering what other things you do to support your running. A colleague of mine, who is part of a running club and has won many medals along the way, said you have to work on the whole you, not just your legs.

I mainly follow these exercises to help avoid those silly injuries - runnersworld.com/strength-t...

Also, I have a set of apps to help me develop different parts of my body (see image). Since developing my core and lower back, I am not getting the injuries that I used to get, especially the shin splints.

I would love to hear your thoughts and app suggestions.

5 Replies
oldestnewest

Rignold basically says you can't live without squaaating, so that plus the stretches. Now just got a stepping app, cos I loved the cheesy 80s music and leotards. That is tomorrow's trial.

I swim, do weights and core work. I find the swimming is great for feeling like my muscles have been put back into their proper place, I did weight training before I ran, but have just recently got back into it. The core (doing it properly) is new to me but I can already see it going to be a really positive addition to my running.

1 like

Excellent. I like swimming and it certainly works the whole body. I'll try and fit it in this week and see where it goes.

1 like

I got terrible shin splint. It was an awful time and I ain't ever going back there I hope

Yeah solid core and legs built up gradually with running and rest days. I don't do gyms but do exercise vids at home with Jillian Michaels 😃💪✔️ Cycling, swimming, lots of walking. I walk everywhere now. Just generally keep moving. I like to run on a tricky trail, with hills and lots of undulations. That really engages ones bod.

All in good time though. Rome wasn't built in a day! Take care now 🙂🏃

1 like

You have a great approach.

You may also like...