Thinking of starting

I'm thinking of starting C25K, but I'm really nervous about it! I bought some new trainers yesterday, but I don't have any clothes suitable for running in. I've lost 3.5 stones doing Slimming World over the last year, but I'm still a size 20/22. Where can I buy running gear in my size? Is anyone on here my sort of size (or were they when they started)?

I've also got quite weak ankles, and go over on them pretty easily. I'm worried I'm going to get injured whilst out running.

What's the best thing to get for me to take my phone out with me? I've been looking at the armband things, but I've got pretty big upper arms so not sure if they'll fit me.

I guess I need a little bit of motivation to get me started!

Last edited by

23 Replies

oldestnewest
  • t-shirt and leggings? Doesn't have to be anything fancy or hi-tech.  Hold your phone in your hand.

• Here's a popular thread about larger sized clothes to have a look at: healthunlocked.com/couchto5...

Regarding injury, make sure you take it very slowly and carefully at first. Pay attention to...

• Echoing what people have said above you can wear whatever is comfy. I jog in a pair of shorts and whichever tshirt I come across first. 

It's scary to start with but TRUST IN THE PROGRAMME and good luck 

• Just grab a pair of leggings or shorts and a t-shirt and get out there! The most important step in starting is just getting off the couch! (Hence the couch to 5k) The first run is the hardest. You could reward yourself with a few new fitness...

• For now you probably need some kind of a jacket. I'd put your phone in a jacket pocket. Later you can look at getting a running jacket if you want. It should also have a breast pocket where you can put your mp3 or phone. Any comfortable top will...

• I just run in some old joggers and mac - you have shoes and a sports bra which I think are the most important things, I did go out and get those too.

I just hold my phone when I'm out and it's fine as I'm not out that long really.

Good luck and...

• Joggers and a t shirt will be fine to start - all this worry over clothing is just a delaying tactic  (we've all been there!) so just get those trainers on and get started!

You can do this. Many of us started from a similar position and have gone...

• I overheat really easily so I do find 'technical' running clothes far more suitable. I've bought from Tesco, Sainsbury, Aldi and Primark and they all sell your size xx They'll say 'dri-wear' or 'dri-tech' etc. wording like that!

Completely get...

• Give it a goas soon as you can, it's a wonderful program.  So many people who thought that they hated running since school are now addicted to running. Just go as slow as you can and listen to Laura, the nice lady on the podcasts. Do no more than...

• I am still 3.5 stone overweight and am limiting myself to the dreadmill (sic) at the gym until I am sure I can run without mishap.  As for clothes, I just use cheapo leggings and a t-shirt for the time being.  I do have some nice running trousers...

• So, I got back around 15 mins ago, and it went ok. I wasn't able to do the whole thing as it says, but I was able to do a few of the 60 second runs. I went to the station to meet my partner, which is normally a 30 minute walk for me, but I got...

• I started C25K wearing my normal clothes, walking boots (fairly light ones) as I didn't possess any trainers.

I bought a sport bra (zip up front or I'd've had to go back to bed after putting it on) before I bought shoes. I also bought some big...

• I also do slimming world too and have started the c25k to get fit and finally start some body magic! I felt sick with nerves before I started but seriously, give it a go. I'm not gonna lie, my first run was awful. I really struggled but I'm...

• Well done.  That's the hard part done.  If you keep running and tap dancing, combined with healthy eating, you will lose weight for sure ☺

• Well done.  It's hard doing both these things, but it sounds like you're on the right track.  I'm still overweight.  Ive lost nearly 2 stone and on week 8 C25k.  I finished it last year but then picked up an Achilles injury which took me ages to...

• Just...get out there.. and have a go! Slow, steady...the slower the better to start with...

Phone in a loose jacket/ sweat top...if it is as cold as it is here at the moment..!

Go for it... we are right here :)

• Hi Fluffy - if you have the trainers that's the main bit of kit sorted! Just wear a comfortable T-shirt/fleece and loose trousers to run in. Just wear whatever is comfy and warm or cool enough for that day's weather.

For carrying my phone and...

• We're about the same size i got my running clothes at primark. Nothing fancy but it was cheap enough so if I lose some weight I won't feel too bad having to buy new stuff. Went on my first 'run' today was tough but feeling so good about it n...

• I repeated week 1 as I wasn't even ready for 'couch'. Should have done 'bed to couch' first. I'm a big piece and was also worried about how I looked and people shouting abuse. I do my runs at 10pm when it's dark and go to a quiet but well lit road...

• I am your size and started couch to5k in January and have not looked back.  Go for it you will never regret starting .  Remember it is your time and only in race with yourself , so what if you need to repeat a week, not as quick as others out...

• Forgot to add I wear long compression socks to help support joints and protect from impact.

• Thanks everyone for all your support. I'm genuinely touched to have so many replies! My knees are a little bit achey this morning, but nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be. I'm definitely feeling up for run 2 tomorrow. One of my friends...

• Well done you! It's a fabulous feeling to have even started something you never thought you could do. As far as worrying about what others think, I read a great article online the other day which essentially advised: 1. Decide what you don't give...

You may also like...