17K today - bit easier than last week's 16K

17K today - bit easier than last week's 16K

It is strange how things turn out - last week I did a 16K long run at 8:30 mins per K and struggled with it - today I did 17K at 8:00 mins per K ( 30 seconds per K faster!) and felt that it was just a bit "easier" . I did wear different shoes - but apart from that, everything else was much the same. It became obvious quite early on in the run that my pace was faster than last week - and couldn't really slow it down. I have no idea why it was 30 seconds per K faster today -- there is a physical place at which the GPS reading for the two different runs were about 300 metres different to one another - a 300 metre error over 15K isn't outside the realms of reasonableness!! I guess it is why we can really only use GPS watches/Apps as a "guide" .

Last edited by

15 Replies

• Well done Bazza. Funny how sometimes the runs are just easier.

Your route doesn't look on a loop, did you have a long walk home or am I being a liitle dim????

Good running.

Jules x

• It is an "out and back" course - I go a short way form my home, turn left , go as far as that leg goes, turn around and come back past the turning point to the end of the other leg and return. It is kind of a bit T shape :)

It is quite difficult to find suitable routes where there are footpaths going such a long way - IF I was ever to train for a full marathon (which I WON'T!! :) ), I don't know how/where I would train.

• Ah, got ya. Me being dim!!! LOL

• Well done! I have already spent ages online trying to plot longer runs.

How long until your HM?

• About another 6 weeks yet -- think that this particular HM (which is part of a new local "Running Festival" ) is going to be a very laid back one :) I have heard that they are going to allow people to run with their dogs (in the spirit of parkrun?) :) I guess it would only be the 5K - can't imagine too many dogs running 10k HM or marathon distances.

• Well done Bazza - you really are clocking up big distances now!

• Well done Bazza on completing such a long run I have only managed 12k once not sure I want to run further and like you would find myself doubling up on the route.

I also find it much harder to run at a slow pace, every time I try it I find my muscles ache so end up running at my normal faster pace of 6mins/k

• I have gotten around this "problem" by using run/walk for these longer distances. Even so, they still are tough for me!! :)

• Same for me. Although any longer runs around here have to include hills so that's bound to slow me down. I wanted my run to work this morning to be an easy one - it took longer than my normal 5k but that was mainly due to stopping to take jacket off and enforced stops due to traffic and red lights. I hate having to stop completely :-( legs always feel worse afterwards.

• Well done - it's along old way.

• Great run there.. and great view of your route... when you see it like that (aerial view) it really shows how much distance you covered. :-)

• Great to hear Bazza.

• That is brillant news. Well done!! How many more long runs have you got planned before your Hm?

• Another 4 yet -- I am increasing the weekly long run by 1 Klm each week, with a rest week in between

• Wow ! That looks like a massive distance .

Take a bow Bazza, Well done ! :-) xxx

You may also like...