OK to do other exercise plan on top of C25K??

Hi all,

Just completed my first run of week 3. Feeling good. Originally I had started with the aim of doing the 12 week fitness plan as I want to tone up as well as increase my aerobic fitness with cardio. However, I found that the strength and fitness workouts in the 12 week NHS plan didn't challenge me at all as I had to wait on Laura to explain how to do each move. Also, I lack the equipment required such as a tall railing etc. and I don't want to work out in a gym or the park.

So I started fitting in workouts from a different plan and found they worked well. I was definitely seeing an improvement in my body. However this plan has a set of 3 different styles of workouts - total body toning, fat burning interval session (cardio) and recovery enhancing stretch workout. The plan says that each workout should be done twice a week with one rest day.

Is it a bad idea to do these two workouts plans at the same time - is it overdoing it? My muscles were a bit sore last week but not bad and I was enjoying it and found I could fit it in. (I just fell off the wagon for 4 days after a very late night on Saturday and not having the battery on my phone to go out one evening!! :P)

I have seen where people have advised not overdoing it but I thought that cross training is good? My concern of overdoing it has prompted me to consider other options. Perhaps mixing the 2 together to mimic the 12 week fitness plan - I could do my C25k runs on alternate days and then 1 of each workout from the other plan on the other days, with 1 rest day per week? Or perhaps it would be better to leave out the cardio workouts from the second plan and do 3xC25k runs a week, 2 total body toning workouts and 1 enhancing recovery workout per week with one day rest from both plans?

Any advice on this - (1.) C25k + full workout plan together, (2.) mix with C25k and half other plan, 1 workout style each week or (3.) mix with C25k and cut out cardio from other plan so 2 toning workouts and 1 stretch workout?

Any advice appreciated, I know it's probably a bit of a tough/complicated one!!!

Thanks,

Running101

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hellyeah! It is probably advisable to have one proper rest day a week at first, but otherwise, fill your time with exercise. Obviously don't jump into a 2 hour a day, 6 day a week routine froma standing start but, assuming you have no medical condition that precludes it, go for it.

• Sweet! Great news! Thanks! :) I gave the 6 day workout a break for a couple of days but I'm still on track for couch to 5k so based on what you say I will try starting up the other workout again and just repeat the first week of it - together it will be about 50 minutes-1hr day 1, 30 mins approx day 2 etc.. I'm going to make sure I warm up and cool down before the other workout though as they don't have that included in it and I think I would still probably need to.

In fact, last week what I did was go straight from couch to 5k, skip the cool down walk and do the other workout instead of having to do a warm up for it. I might stick with that and just make sure to do some cool down stretches afterwards.

Can I ask though, it's best not to do the same type of exercises 6 days in a row, right? As in 6 days a week running is worse than 3 days a week running and 6 days a week doing different styles of strength and flexibility workouts?

Thanks again! :)

You may also like...