Shoes shoes shoes cushioned or minimalist?

Time to invest in some shoes I think, I know the usual answer to shoe questions is to get a gait analysis done but I'm wondering about minimalist/transition shoes. From the off I have aimed for a mid/forefoot strike rather than a heel strike, I find it a very comfortable way to run, I tried to heel strike the other day and actually couldn't do it without feeling like I was going to trip up, it feels very clunky! Anyone run in minimalist shoes and have some advice! I will get a gait analysis done too, although I never run on a treadmill, should I practice first?!

4 Replies

• Yes, I run in a pair of Lucy Vivobarefoot trainers. I started in these as I had heard about them for sort of speed-walking and originally got them for that purpose. I have a very dodgy big toe which I though was a bunion but have just found out that it's severe arthritis (deep joy!) and I find them very comfortable, much more so than trainers with moulded soles. Despite my wonky toe I find that I can run on my mid or forefoot without discomfort. I run on a mixture of different surfaces and was wondering about getting a more 'grippy' sole in the same sort of trainer.

Hope that you find your gait analysis helpful!

• Love my Brooke's Transition Shoes

• Hiya, I have minimalist for off road, they're Brooks as well. Love them because they're so light. Ignore trying to heel strike, mid and fore for sprinting work very well. I know you don't want us banging on about gait but for minimalist shoes you should get it checked, just in case you pronate without realising

• Time to be boring...get the gait analysis done, and then look at the shoe type that is best. Remember, Sweatshop will do a money back deal if you don't get on with the shoes you buy from them.

Boring comment I know, but the analysis is important to avoid problems.

You may also like...