Marathon ambitions? anyone recommend a good training plan (for a post grad, still overweight almost 50 year old) What am I thinking!

I am being talked into the Munich Marathon in 2014 by two of my team members at work (there is a wider group who are interested, so it will turn into a long weekend jolly); I imagine I am by far the oldest and least fit of all I have seen on the email as I can see what departments they work for; I am still unsure but being persuaded; and would aim for a half marathon by about May I suppose?

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • May is plenty of time. I don't know about a plan, I've got myself up to half marathon distance by increasing one run a week slightly until I'm up to 13 miles in about 2.5 hours.

• Also current thinking is that there's no need to run 20 miles in training if it's going to take you longer than 3(I think) hours in training. I think it was in this month's runners world. Something to do with no extra fitness benefit while increasing the risk of injury substantially.

• Hi, Crox, thanks for that advice. Was chatting to my friends who are the instigators last night & there's a hm in Southend in June so think I'll aim for that first, & will have a look at runners world later. :-)

• Runners world have quite a few plans. I used their HM one which I think was for 12 weeks so you have plenty of time.

• Ive recently read a few books on the subject and you can pick them up on ebay for 3 pound including delivery. Highly recommend trying a ccouple

• Any in particular Phil?

• I liked the structure of Graeme Hilditch, The Marathon and Half Marathon, A Training Guide. But if you would in anyway like to use a run/walk strategy then John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield book Marathon Running for Mortals would probably suit. The other couple of books I read were great whilst reading, but personally liked these more.

You may also like...