sourdough live yeast bread

I began making my beloved sourdough bread again after several years (thinking it a good way to relax) and then thought- oops- this is a live yeast. Possible fungus? So is it safe? Am about to start FLAIR on Ibrutinib/Rituximab arm so immunity not as compromised as FCR but nevertheless. Any advice or opinions welcome. (No autumn leaves either...)

4 Replies

  • Only some yeasts are dangerous and when you eat the cooked bread the yeast will no longer be viable. As the chef, you'll be exposed to the raw flour and yeasts however and a quick search indicates any problems relate to possible allergy to the flour, yeast or other ingredients, which should be easily remedied by wearing a mask:

    Enjoy your sourdough bread!


  • Thank-you Neil. Excellent links. but now I wonder if ! should be drinking apple cider vinegar!! I assume a simple medical mask which I have should be sufficient to kept the flour and yeast beasties at bay....

  • I can't find any mention of bakers yeast or vinegar in a couple of references on neutropenic diets (not that I was expecting any). Remember, vinegar is used to preserve foods by pickling, where the acidic vinegar prevents bacteria from spoiling the food.

    Milled flour can have particle sizes between 1 and 100 microns, yeast cells between 1 and 50 microns, while bacteria can be as small as 0.3 microns. So any medical mask that can filter bacteria will also filter out yeast cells and flour particles.


  • Many thanks again. I LOVE this site.

You may also like...