A Brain Healthy Diet to Protect from Dementia

Baycrest Hospital in Toronto, Canada is a leading research facility for Alzheimer's Disease and many other forms of dementia. Their research has led them to document a 'brain-healthy diet' that not only may protect from neurodegeneration, it may also 'reverse' damage already done due to dietary, and lifestyle factors, as well as brain trauma like concussions.

You can see the diet and read more here:

baycrest.org/research-news/...

This is corroborated by information here:

optimallivingdynamics.com/b...

A brain-healthy diet is also a heart-healthy diet.

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Living With High Cholesterol?

Connect with people like you to get support, advice and tips towards improving your health.

Get started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Online course on health and other subjects available free, 4 hours per week. I di a course on food as medicine, very interesting and learning. May be if people have time they can join.

This link gives information:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

• Thanks but your link leads to a study on Alzheimer's, not an online course.

• To be healthy, eating needs to focus on lowering demand for insulin/IGF-1. The guidelines given don't emphasise that. Whole-grains are often high-glycaemic foods, and low-fat dairy causes abnormally sharp insulin rises.

• Please provide your source for the low-fat dairy comment.

• Thank you.

What are the implications though? For diabetics, I can see the issue, but in moderation for those who are not?

Personally, I have been able to normalize my critical bio-markers, including a very low triglyceride level of 0.61 mmol/l, even though I enjoy dairy, in moderation, on a daily basis. I usually have 1-2 oz of feta (22%), which is a lower-fat cheese made from goat and sheep milk, 1-2 oz of full-fat (3.8%) goat milk with my breakfast tea, and a half cup of plain, 0% fat Greek yogurt after my fitness workouts.

If you've read my posts, I exercise daily, 4 days/week in the gym, 30-60 brisk walk daily (even on gym days), 1 day per week ice hockey year-round (twice per week in the winter), and 2 days per week walking the golf course during the summer.

I average 15,000 steps per day which translates to about 7 miles (11.26 km).

My diet and lifestyle allowed me to lose 40 lbs and stabilize my weight at 155 lbs. (70.3 kg).

• In terms of what is happening on the ground, PHE continue to recommend low-fat options in spite of this evidence, with some health professionals forming a 'break-away' group; Public Health Collaboration, that recommend 'real food', such as whole dairy.

IMHO the implications for our personal responsibility/informed decision making are in alignment with what you have deduced. Those of us that have righted our metabolism have a greater tolerance, but even so, since hyperinsulinaemia is a known contributor for ill-health, they should be a 'now and then' food rather than a staple, whereas whole dairy is quite acceptable.

You may also like...