British Liver Trust

Discomfort bottom right side of abdomen

I've been experiencing a dull ache in the bottom right side of my abdomen for almost a month on and off. It seems to be much worse after I drink alcohol, I drink heavily three to four times a week. I am currently in Sweden so it is difficult for me to get health care, without spending a lot of money. I'm going to stop drinking alcohol, however does anyone have any advice on how to reduce the discomfort or if anyone has experienced this before? I am very anxious that it is something serious and I don't know what to do.

Thank you very much,

Joseph

6 Replies
oldestnewest

I'd also like to mention that walking and bending down to pick things up is incredibly uncomfortable. I am 24 and I feel like a 70 year old. I've been drinking heavily for around three years and I wonder if this is responsible.

2 likes

Hi Joseph, don't we have a reciprocal health care agreement with Sweden? You should certainly try to get seen by a local Dr.

Lower right sided pain, combined with your age, might be a couple of things. Have you had temperature spikes? Do you feel otherwise well, or a bit grotty?

Stop the booze straight away, you know that already.

All the best mate.

2 likes

Joseph, do you not have a European Health Insurance Card which should give you access to Swedish Health Care? Details re accessing health and other 'living in Sweden' details are listed at the .gov page :- gov.uk/guidance/living-in-s...

Lower right sided grumbling pain sounds like it could be associated with your appendix - you are the demographic for that - young male under 30. Appendix can be aggravated by alcohol.

I wouldn't be messing about with this and would get it checked out.

Katie

2 likes

Hi

I would definitely get it checked out and try and stop drinking or at least cut it down. Take care

1 like

Thanks for your responses and apologies for my delayed response. All seems fine now, I've cut down on my drinking and the pain has subsided. I saw a GP in Sweden who told me it was unlikely to be appendicitis which is a relief.

1 like

Good to hear x

You may also like...