New Years 10 km race

New Years 10 km race

I ran my first 10 km race this morning and completed it in 1 hour, 1 minute and 49 seconds. A new personal record and a wonderful experience to run together with 6175 other people. Such a rush.

I woke up at 6 and couldn't sleep because of the excitement, so I had breakfast and coffee and waited!

When I arrived, I learned that my coach was sick and instantly felt a little lost, but one of the other coaches took me under his wing and never left my side. He ran with me from start to finish - he made sure I didn't run too fast in the beginning and he cheered me on when there was 1 km left and we "sprinted" the last bit. He could have done it much faster but was more interested in making sure my first race was a good one. I owe him one!

When we finished we met up with the rest of the club members and had champagne and "kransekage" (cake Danes eat at special occasions like weddings and new years).

I am feeling fantastic. What a way to finish THE YEAR I LEARNED TO RUN.

Thank you to everybody here - especially Oldfloss for the support you have given me from the very beginning in April and until now. I almost cried when I saw the Pippi-post this morning.

Happy New Year!

58 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Wooohoooo, well done and a fantastic time too. I bet your hooked on events now πŸ˜€. I'm glad you had a great time, you have every reason to feel proud of yourself. Happy running.

• Thank you RFC❀

• Congratulations - it is exciting to see people doing well. I can't imagine doing 10K but I will eventually...

• I know what you mean. Felt the same 6 months ago❀

• This simply wonderful..you have come so far and I am so thrilled for you.

What a run.. you had a really excellent time too, and, as our Laura would say, even 'finished in style'.

I woke this morning and was thinking about you and imagining how you must be feeling.. I think I even had sympathetic, butterflies in my tummy.

You deserve to be really proud of yourself.I am so proud of you my special RUNNER friend.

Well, as you say, what a year... In April you made your mind up to run and you started.

As our little friend Pippi would say..."I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that"..

...and you were able to!!!!

Well done Iben x:)

• β€πŸƒβ€πŸƒβ€πŸƒ

• Fantastic Iben, well done, well done, well done, and a big hug. πŸ€— You are speedy, that's a fantastic time.

Happy New Year to you too, here's to running adventures of 2017 πŸŽ‰πŸΎπŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

Mx

• Thank you Madge and Happy New YearπŸŽ†β€

• Fantastic run there... well done!!! I bet you'll be thinking how you can knock 1min 50secs from your time :-) :-)

• Very much so!

• What an amazing time ! Extraordinarily well done .....

• Thank you Henpen❀

• Fabulous time, and so glad the nerves didn't stop you loving it x

• I am sooooo happy with that time πŸƒβ€

• Nice one!!! Such a fabulous end to a great year!

• Thank you MillerπŸŽ†πŸƒβ€

• Amazing time - and sounds like a wonderful experience (especially the champagne and cake afterwards!). Well done - you are such an inspiration to me - definitely going to try for a 10K in 2017 🍾🌟

• Yes! Do-do-do! It is so worth the tired legs πŸŽ†πŸƒ

• Iben, I am so so pleased for you , sounds like you had such a great race !

Massive Congratulations to you , what a fantastic way to end the year .

Absolutely brilliant , Well done ! :-) xx

• Thank you Poppy. It was such a beautiful way to finish one of the best years ever. Not politically, mind you, but running-wise

• Well done - great end to the year.

• Iben, you are just so amazing! From those first tentative runs where you weren't sure if running is for you - especially in view of your sporty running family - to a fantastic, confident speedy runner! And the time is brilliant. I love it and am so pleased for you. Go Iben!

• I still feel somewhat alienated... is it really me who's running?

• I am so, so, so happy for you Iben :) Congratulations!

• Thank you mcfittyπŸƒπŸŽ†β€

• Well done, Iben. you are a confirmed runner now and another success story for C25k. Happy New Year. Keep running, keep smiling.

• Running = smiling. Happy New Yearβ€πŸŽ†πŸƒ

• well done iben! sounds like you had a brilliant time! What a way to end the year! :)

ps, i thought your result sounded familiar, so checked my 1st 10k race result, and we are almost twins! mine was 1hr 1 min 50! :)

• I love the idea of being your running twin Ali.πŸ‘­

• Happy New Year Iben twin! :)

• Happy New YearπŸ˜„

• Iben you are terrific!

Well done runner, absolutely brilliant!

You are an inspiration to many on this forum! Be very proud of your achievement, you deserve it!

Happy New Year xxx

• Thank you JacsπŸƒπŸŽ†β€

• well done Iben! that is incredible :) happy new year!

• Thank you Lina β€πŸŽ†πŸƒ

• Wow, the first 10k; congratulations!

I'm happy I popped-in just in time to celebrate this fantastic milestone. :)

• Please stay. Miss you πŸƒπŸŽ†β€ Happy New Year Secan

• And an even happier one to you! :)

• Ooh... welcome back Secan... hope everything is going okay :)

• Well done, a fab time! So lovely that another coach guided you to success but you did it. Enjoy the runners high!

• Thanks Doyleβ€πŸŽ†πŸƒ

• Well done! Great time, achievement & end to the year!

What a kind coach as wellπŸ˜€

• Amazing person. I'll have to remember to tell him how much I appreciate what he didπŸŽ‡

• Brilliant! Fantastic time and really glad you enjoyed it☺

• Thanks SandraπŸŽ‡

• Wow that's so cool Iben! Sounds like you had the best experience possible even despite the nerves and finding out your coach was sick. Excellent time too! Very proud of you :)

• Tillykke, Iben. Flot!

• Tak, Tomas.

• WOW WOW WOW WOW WOWWWWWEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Fabulous job Iben. What an amazing time. Huge congrats to you. No stopping you now xxx

• Weeee! Thank you Noaky. Such a great feelingπŸ’ͺπŸ»πŸƒβ€οΈ

• Aaaah thats fantastic IbenCopenhagen 😊 that sounds like a brilliant 10k race and what a way to finish your first running year in style. GO YOU.xxxπŸ˜„

• Thanks Jan, it was a really great race. Lots of happy runners.

• So well done X

• Thank you, MollydexπŸ‘Ÿ

• Wow, that's just so brilliant! What a great time for your first race, you must be on top of the world xx

• Totally! I'm still high :-)

• Very very well done Iben, what a wonderful experience, and one you'll never ever forget :)

• I think you are right. It will not be easily forgotten. The coach was about to give me a high five at the finish line when I threw myself at I'm and gave him a big bear hug! He was quite surprisedπŸ˜†

You may also like...