High Blood Pressure Support
1,555 members379 posts

Blood pressure reading.

Today was my second blood pressure reading at my GP.It was 160/90 . It has been a recent change in my readings,my doctor has suggested I now take medication and has written a prescription directly to the Pharmacy,I have forgotten the name,I know it was spelled A....... .I was a little upset re the reading .I am writing on here for support on how others deal with this and are there any suggestions dietary etc. I know I need to exercise more and change my diet.

Thank you

17 Replies
oldestnewest

Amlodipine? Atenolol? With regard to diet, the number one recommendation is to cut out salt and caffeine, and drink plenty of water. It can also help to have a good brisk walk each day and to lose weight if overweight.

2 likes

That is all perfectly good, conventional advice. However, 1g carbohydrate holds about 4g water in the body, increasing blood volume. Reducing the glycaemic load of what we eat reduces blood volume because of this, and because less insulin is required to cope.

Further, high IGF-1 levels narrow arteries too by promoting growth of endothelial linings. Keeping to about 130g per day of low Gi carbs will also normalise levels of this growth hormone.

2 likes

??

1 like

Sorry grace111; to spell it out higher blood volume in narrowed arteries equals higher blood pressure.

We are told of the detriment of eating too much salt, but not of eating too much carbohydrate. A 2015 study found that 50% of the USA now has insulin resistance, and the UK is usually about five years behind.

If you can, take the opportunity to attend the NHS diabetes prevention programme (NDPP) from ICS/Pulse Health.

That doesn't mean we should all be eating a very low-carbohydrate diet, but carbohydrate consumption has been overemphasised in the industrial world.

2 likes

when i had my bloods done my sodium was low and i have high blood pressure. your post was so difficult to understand and i still am not sure as to what it means. higher blood volume in narrowed arteries. surely its the same amount of blood but in narrowed arteries if not can you explain to me where the higher amount of blood comes from i am interested to know having high blood pressure myself and being on amlodapine. correct me if im wrong, i dont have diabetes as iv been tested, i have put on some weight recently in the last month due to not wanting to eat much meat after all i have heard about it and watched documentaries. however im not a good cook and I'm eating mostly sandwiches. granted i use brown bread from the supermarket but i dont trust that, im eating more fish, however some of the ones that are safe are farmed and i dont know what they are being fed. mindbodygreen.com/0-11561/9... its quite difficult in my opion to eat safely now never mind healthy. love grace xoxo

The high insulin levels needed to cope with the excess of carbohydrate increases the blood volume.

Thank you .

Thank You, have to definitely change my diet as have gained weight over the last 10 years and not done much walking .

Script, if you can reduce your intake of refined carbohydrates it will help you to lose weight. Foods such as potatoes and root veg turn to sugar in our bodies. Also, reducing intake of bread can help. If you are carrying extra fluid, foods such as asparagus, celery can help.

Thank you.I will do this

Thank you

Try to not stress - this adds to high blood pressure. The medicine should work and then you can focus on getting more exercise, trying to watch your salt in take and drinking lots of water. Its a common illness - better to know and to get treatment. Hang in there

1 like

Thank you for this . Cutting down salt and having weekly monitoring of BP as now on meds

Dr. Should do 3 readings in a row to determine if your numbers stay the same .At 3 different visits.

I would invest in a bp cuff. I use a wrist monitor.

Thank you. I am following your advice and will be monitored by my local pharmacist this week due to new meds .

I’m on amlopdine & have researched several foods to reduce hbp:

Leafy greens - potassium helps get rid of sodium through your urine - I love spinach now.

Berries, esp blueberries which is rich in natural flavonoids - odd glass of red wine!

Red beets

Skimmed milk/yog

Oatmeal

Bananas

Salmon, fish rich in omega 3

Seeds

& dark chocolate!

Drink lots of water, reduce sodium & caffeine 🤗

Very helpful , thank you

You may also like...