Must Fight Naps

I have COPD Emphysema. I take Spiriva, Symbicort, Mucinex & I nebulize with albuterol inhalation solution on a daily basis just to get out of bed & move around. As the disease progresses I get tired. Not just tired but down right sleepy. I could, if I were a mind to, lay down & sleep for LORD knows how long. I don't because if I do I have to re-medicate as if it were morning. The results are weird, I go to bed before 10pm most night & My mind wakes up around 4:30am. If I just lay there quietly, I'll fall back asleep. But My mind wakes up again around 5:30 & I just get up. If I didn't fight the nap, if I gave in & slept, woke up, medicated & started over again (twice in the same day) I may not sleep well that night. I don't know cause i ain't given in. I'll Fight The Nap Till The Fight Is Out Of Me Forever. :D

18 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Keep fighting that's all we can do but always have smile once a day it makes it easier god bless

• I smile as soon as I realize I'm awake, then just before sitting up I Thank The LORD Above. :D

• Try a siesta after lunch and have a small nap for an hour or so, your body is calling for sleep so have some.

• The problem with a nap & all the lung inhalants I take is that once My body goes horizontal, the meds settle down & no longer (for lack of a better explanation) Feel Needed. When I wake up from a short nap it's like waking up in the morning. I have to re-medicate as if it were & those meds ain't cheap. :D

• Hello, I don't have any advice to offer except I know the feeling of being determined to stay awake during the day so I can sleep at night.

Wishing you a very warm welcome to the site I can see you have lots of experience so can share it plus your good supplement regime :)

• Thank You for the Welcome. I can only respond with what I've experienced. :D

• When NASA did sleep experiments, they found that a half hour nap was helpful, but if it went on for longer it became a deeper sleep and was harder to wake up from and be efficient or whatever. These half hour or 20 minute naps are what came to be called power napping.

Maybe a half hour nap would work for you, Mad, and not take away from your night's sleep. You could set an alarm so you don't go into longer deeper sleep.

• The problem with a nap & all the lung inhalants I take is that once My body goes horizontal, the meds settle down & no longer (for lack of a better explanation) Feel Needed. When I wake up from a short nap it's like waking up in the morning. I have to re-medicate as if it were & those meds ain't cheap. :D

• I have a 'power nap' every day, just 20 - 30mins, works for me. I hate it when I used to wake 3.30am and couldn't go back to sleep, pleased to say that does'nt happen now.

• Sounds very similar to my husband!! Goes to bed every night a 10pm always wakes up about 4am! And when he sits down at night to watch TV he can nod off almost immediately. Keep fighting!! xx

• I have similar sleeping/waking times but I'm used to it now. I do try and get a nap in the afternoon though.

• I wish I could have a nap during the day but I just can't get off. I get so tired because I wake about every hour during the night, turn over then turn back and go back to sleep for the next hour. I keep saying I am going to make a list of the times I wake during the night but think that would wake me up all together.

polly xx

• we get tired because we are working harder than everyone else just to breathe

how are your oxygen levels maybe they are a bit low hun

• My levels are fine. It's the 1st thing I check. :D

• I know how you feel I could sleep 23 hours a day and still wake up tired if after a shower I feel I just need to sleep and I end up sleeping most afternoons

• I'm afraid My days & nights will get turned around or worse I'll sleep forever & a day. Comatose. :D

• Worth having your bloods checked , maybe anaemic. Pay for meds? Are you in the US?

• I have copd 24hr oxygen my sleep patern is all over the place but feel I have to have 20mins around midday, exhausted otherwise x

You may also like...