Train travel

I travel a lot on the train and always book mobility assistance. The quality of this does vary greatly from station to station but when it works well, it is fabulous. I usually just use a walking stick but am making my first solo train journey in a wheelchair next month. I have travelled on trains in my wheelchair a couple of times in the past but I have been with my Mum and step-father. I have to say I am quite anxious about this particularly as I will have to negotiate a suitcase as well. Although I would rather not have a case I am going to a wedding so it is unavoidable really. I am going to buy a suitcase on 4 wheels (I think that will be easier) and I just hope the assistance is up to scratch!

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I have taken to sending mt suitcases ahead of me by carrier. The carrier collects from me and delivers to the address I will stay at. All depends how far away and how much I need to take. This has greatly reduced stress at the going away point of my holidays. I check that the place I stay will agree to hold the luggae and be there at the uplift after my holidays. The driver lifts it into the house too.

Good luck with your train travel I have not been bold enough to try it yet in a wheelchair.,

• Hello HarryB

I do not travel by train so know little about it. I do use a wheelchair so know that carrying a suitcase, whilst dificult can be done. Perhaps a strong handsome man will take pity on you!!!

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck, have a good wedding!

Kind regards

Carol

• This may sound daft Harriet but I think a mobility scooter might be a better alternative.

When I was in ASDA a year ago I saw a small young person carriage thing that attaches to the back of pedal Bikes to allow children travel alongside a person pedalling a bike. Just thinking that this type of carriage could be attached to the back of a mobility scooter?

I hope you don't think I'm nuts but it sounds logic to me. I also know that Scotrail will assist a mobility scooter user onboard their trains. I asked in person at Cumbernauld rail staion terminal about this and was told that they would be able to 'man' ramp access onto the train on request.

• The train journey went very smoothly and the wedding was just fabulous. It was in Western Ireland and by george, they know how to party! I think it will take me about a month to recover!

You may also like...