This may sound silly, but what is the usual route following diagnosis?

So far, it is just my GP I am seeing. He has been great in terms of getting me started on Warfarin and Cardicor, I have seen him once since starting that,when he increased the Cardicor. I have also had an echocardiogram me, although I didn't know about it until the appointment arrived. I see my GP on 24th September. The medication makes me breathless and I still get episodes every day, I just don't know what is 'normal' and just to accept, and what I should worry about. Feeling very tired too. Should I be seeing a cardiologist as many people seem to.

13 Replies

  • Hi Lorna

    Yes, you should be seeing a specialist in my opinion, the treatment options that any GP can recommend are limited and he/she is unlikely to know sufficient about AF to be able to advise you on those options (Yes there are exceptions, but few and far between )

    Ask your GP to refer you to an electrophsyiologist. (EP)

    Be well


  • Yes, definitely need to see a specialist

  • Yes you need a cardiologist and EP my GP won't have anything to do with my heart apart from giving me referrals for ECG ect and giving me my repeat scripts

  • I saw cardiologist once before I had Ecco test and had results from monitor. Then just a short letter saying what medication to be on and that was that. My Doc is very supportive as I am extremely anxious and not managing my condition well, only been 2 months since onset. I felt so alone,had so many questions and worried about not being checked regularly. However Doc says she will revue me in 3 months time. However this site is so supportive and helpful. Ask any questions and someone seems to have been there and will respond.but do agree you should see cardiologist, hope you go on ok Lorna ,take care.

  • Lots of research, then cardiologist and try and find an experienced Naturopath/Alternative Practitioner all asap. It's hard work but it pays off.

  • I had the Echocardiogram, 24 hour monitor and told what tablets to take Bisoprolol 7.5mg and Apixaban and that was it, do feel very out on my own. So if you can see professionals who are experts in AFib I would. This website has been so informative as well.

    Should one be monitored yearly?

  • Yes you should request a cardiology opinion. Your GP is exactly what the label says 'a general practitioner' and not a specialist. As good as some GP's are, you deserve, and I believe NICE guidelines also state, a specialised assessment and opinion.

  • You should see a cardiologist with regards to your AF, my go referred me as soon as I started to have symptoms. I have a revel device implant which I download to the cardiologist department once a month which tells them how many episodes I had within that month. This helps the doctor to up or Lower my medication I am on flecianide . All medication has side effects and the feeling of tiredness could or more than likely be one of them.

  • Lorna 058

    - If it is AF that you were diagnosed with then definitely I would push to get referred to an EP (Electrophysiologist) NOW. If you wait three months then GP decides that you should see one then it might take a further 4 months to see one and in which case that is 7 months from now. Also an EP is dealing with people every day and has far more knowledge and experience than any GP can (no matter how good they are). Also the knowledge and treatment of AF has progressed quite significantly in the last 10 to 20 years so the knowledge your GP has may well be out of date. Recently when I saw my GP she had a medical student shadowing her and my GP said to the student that I could tell the student far more about AF then she could possibly do!!!! (and my GP attended a presentation by an EP a couple of years ago!!!).


    - Based on my experience I would get a referral to an EP now and not wait. An EP will be able to answer far many more questions.

  • Is your GP checking your INR levels? I can't imagine being on warfarin with no one checking to make sure your levels are correct.

  • Yes he is and he is very happy for me to do my own and willing to prescribe the test strips, so in that sense he is supportive. I just feel he thinks that titrating my dose of Cardicor is all it takes to manage the AF. Because I am already without half of one lung, the side effect of breathlessness needs addressing by a specialist. Will ask for referral and see what happens!

  • Hi there

    I live quite close to you I think! I was diagnosed by my GP several years ago, but not started on any meds until I had a TIA and was seen at the hospital by a cardiologist, who put me on bisoprolol, warfarin and simvastatin. I only get an annual review by a nurse and have never been offered a EP appointment. I have paroxysmal AF. Afte 3 years of warfarin, my intake refused to stay in safe limits and the cardo. changed me to Pradaxa, after a second TIA.

    On this site I heave learned about the importance of magnesium for heart 'electrics' and feel better for including this along with other supplements, although I still feel tired sometimes and now prefer a slower life-pace.

    Hope you get some answers soon. Perhaps we can meet up sometime.

  • Good to hear from you, would be happy to meet up some time. Saw my GP today, he has increased my dose of Cardicor to 50 mgs and says if this doesn't do the trick he will refer m me to a cardiologist. I had an echo done a couple of weeks ago and he says the results are ok, a relief as I had a carcinoid tumour 7years ago, which can damage the heart. My doc says warfarin to prevent TIA s should always be a priority and he had me on it as soon as he spotted the AF. I am going to be doing my own blood tests soon, will let you know how that goes if you are interested. This site is a great place for easing worries , so much shared knowledge isn't it. Look forward to hearing from you, hope you stay well, Lorna

You may also like...