Advanced Prostate Cancer
7,128 members7,109 posts

Testosterone levels !!

I have been recently diagnosed with advanced metastatic prostate cancer. I was started on Casodex 50 mg for 14 days (one tablet a day). Then Eligard 22.5 mg for 3 months. I have also had 38 sessions of radiation (2 Gy/session).

My testosterone levels have now fallen to 13.76 ng/dL where the normal range is 260-1000. My question is : Are these levels good, not so good or bad.

Thanks for any help.

11 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi, anything less than 50 is castrate i believe. You are right where you need to be!

1 like

Thank you, Tjc1. I thought the same but wanted to cross check.

I am meeting my uro-oncologist tomorrow for the next Eligard injection

and a consultation. Lets see what he thinks about my T levels :-)

Thanks again, much obliged.

From a 2015 paper [1]:

"Although, the historical castrate T suppression target has been defined as < 50 ng/dl, this level may not be as low as required to deliver equivalent suppression as achieved by surgical castration. Recent studies have demonstrated that a T level as low as 20 ng/dl may produce improved clinical outcomes."

13.76 ng/dL is a very good number.

-Patrick

[1] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/262...

2 likes

Thank you, Patrick. Thanks for the link. I read your posts with a lot of interest.

Thanks again for taking the time and trouble to respond. Much obliged.

Your testosterone levels are not just good, they’re great!

Mine has stayed around 6-7, and PSA undetectable for 3 years on Lupron/Eligard, bicalutamide, and (more recently) 6 cycles of docetaxel.

Keep it up! You’re off to a good start on keeping the beast in check, hopefully for a very, very long time.

Have a blessed and beautiful day.

1 like

Thank you, Litlerny. Here's wishing you too a happy, healthy, peaceful and prosperous life. All the very best.

1 like

Less than 20 should be the goal, you're in good shape.

Ed

2 likes

Thank you, EdBar. I had a second Eligard 45 mg injection today (6 monthly poke).

It didn't pain at all. Hopefully things will work out well and my testosterone levels

will keep falling. Cheers !!

1 like

Hell yah! Great news, hoping this continues in the right direction., sounds like you re in Frankenstein’s hands as we all are for as long as possible.. It’s a treacherous path in the beginning. Hang in. Sounds like you are on the right path.. love life, even in suffering we can find some beauty, acceptance is key to keep moving on. Peace..

1 like

Thanks, Lulu700. Always nice to hear words of encouragement.

All the very best to you too. Peace..

No outsiders really understand what we go thru. Peace today , it’s a good day. Take as many of those as we can get.

1 like

You may also like...