Advanced Prostate Cancer
7,417 members7,559 posts

High levels of testosterone as treatment

Hi All,

We were watching the news last night (Australia) and a story came on about how doctors were treating advanced metastatic prostate cancer with high levels of testosterone. They were running a study where they said that after testosterone deprivation, giving very high levels meant that it killed off the cancer cells. I have googled it today and found this

fredhutch.org/en/news/cente...

Does anyone know about this treatment and the results?

Many thanks.

11 Replies
oldestnewest

Heard of it, but I'm not in position yet to benefit from it. In remission at PSA 0.120. Maybe by time I need it, they will have more studies done that will make FDA make it a normally accepted treatment insurance companies will pay for.

2 likes

Thanks for that.

Many here know of it. I am one. We have enough here that are actually doing it or are in a Clinical Trial doing it. We refer to it as BAT. You can search BAT for Prostate Cancer, or Dr, Demeade of John Hopkins. One man here on this site has been doing it 7 or 8 years, before it even got out into the mainstream.

Nalakrats

1 like

Thanks for that. Will discuss with Oncologist today as future treatment and see what he knows.

A long way off but always need to keep in the loop with potential treatment. My partner had radical prostatectomy 13 days ago and recovered fantastically well. He has no incontinence and walked 2 kms on the treadmill yesterday. He is 56 and very fit and I suspect this has helped his recovery. But always need to keep informed of what is happening in the world of prostate cancer.

It is so common! We had dinner last night with 2 of our neighbours. One had prostate surgery 8 months ago and one is watching his PSA (4.2). Both their wives are doctors. The one with surgery did not have high PSA. Neighbour behind us also had prostate removed a few years ago and one next to us is watching is PSA as his dad dad from prostate cancer.

There needs to be more info for men and more $$ in long term management and cure.

4 likes

You are doing the right thing. I was doing what you are doing 40 months ago. My Doctors do not even want to talk to me, as I keep pumping them up for new things while telling them things they have not even heard of yet.

You must stay ahead of the curve. Or the curve will catch up with you.

Nalakrats

12 likes

This a link with the results of one of the clinical trials:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/292...

1 like

Many thanks x

Here are some articles about Bipolar Androgen Therapy (BAT). It is still very much in the experimental stages. Some men are able to prolong the amount of time on hormone therapy. Some men get worse. They hope to figure out what characteristics predict for a benefit.

pcnrv.blogspot.com/2016/09/...

pcnrv.blogspot.com/2016/09/...

3 likes

Thanks for that. I will read now before we see the Oncologist today.

Yes. There have been clinical trials on bipolar testosterone. And Sartor at Tulane who participated in the bipolar trials is of the belief that non-alternating unipolar testosterone therapy will work even better.

But the testosterone therapy works only after androgen deprivation therapy has ceased working.

2 likes

Thanks for that. The Oncologist that we just got back from wants to try Radiotherapy with ADT first and then see PSA levels before adding Chemo.

You may also like...