My journey continues

After 3.5 months on BAT things have taken a disasterous turn. PSA jumped to nearly 7000, liver enzymes surged, and fatigued increased. My oncologist immediately restarted me on Xtandi which I had been on for awhile back in in 2015. Unfortunate that doesn't appear to be morning. Urine output is way down, even with a diuretic. Swelling has increased in groin, legs and belly. I have been self cathing for a couple of weeks daily, but I was told to increase to twice a day. Almost immediately I developed blood in urine, so here I sit in the hospital for the first time in 60 years. Monitoring liver and kidney function and urine content using Foley catheter. First time in the 4 years since my diagnosis I have really felt how quickly this damn disease can turn on us. Thanks for listening.

23 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hang in there. You have hundreds or thousands cheering for you.

• I am sorry things have gone south for you. I will have prayers for you tonight.

Dennis

• So sorry that things aren't good at the moment, hopefully the hospital will get you sorted before too long and you will be back home. Sending a hug. Jackie

• I pray for you.

• I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully the hospital will get you well again and you can go back home soon. Good luck with everything!

• Burnett1948. Best wishes: thinking about you.

• Sorry you're going through this, keep on fighting.

• Hang in there, hopefully just another blip, it is 3am here and I am up reading this great blog for support as sleep escapes me. Praying for you

Bill

• Thank you for posting and reminding us of the stark realities of this disease. My diagnosis is four months young, and posts like yours leaves me wide-eyed and grounded. You say thanks for listening; we say thank you for sharing.

• Thanks for sharing. May the force be with you!

• Our prayers are with you! 🙏

• Hoping the quality of Life improves for you!

• Many thoughts I do have--first are prayers. All my Docs. Uro, Onc. and Geneticist, are afraid to let my Pathology escape the grips I have on it at present. They feel they may not get it back in the bottle.

Nalakrats

• I'm praying for peace and rest for you. My husband went through using a Foley catheter for awhile - it seems we go from one treatment to another - just hoping for one that works for longer than a few months. I hope that you have loved ones surrounding you - you will be better soon - I pray that you have the pain under control. Remember - you are loved!

• Gecrillin. I am so sorry. It seemed like the BAT therapy was promising and a break from years of very little testosterone at all. You were brave to attempt it

• I am sorry to hear of this development, We are all pulling for you. Keep fighting and never ever give up.

Dan

• Not familiar with BAT, but my cancer flared up as the cancer spread to liver, lungs and bone. Felt much the same as you do. A CT scan showed the extent of the cancer spread. Currently I am on ADT and chemotherapy (Doxetaxil and Carboplatin) . This has kept the cancer from further spreading and I feel a little better than I started the treatment but is not a permanent solution.

• Thanks for sharing. I feel like we're all in this together.

• Do your docs attribute the drastic change for the worse to be because of BAT

• At least some of it.

• Sometimes BAT resets the clock and Xtandi starts working again..imo that is the best reason to take BAT in the first place..Good chance that will happen in your case

Gus

• So how are things going?? Praying for a speedy recovery to home! Don't give up the fight!

• OK, I had find out what BAT was - Bipolar Androgen Therapy. A promising study for men with metastatic prostate cancer resistant to chemical or surgical treatment. A testosterone shock treatment as you will. The operative phrase that I gleaned is "resistant to chemical or surgical treatment."

I take this to me chemotherapy failure. Where am I wrong?

Gourd Dancer

You may also like...