Adult ADHD Support

ADHD Musicians

One thing's for sure, music from an ADHD brain is the most interesting stuff I've ever personally listened to. Any of you guys ever spend your time just zoning out to music and allowing the pictures in ur mind to take over? I've always had crazy dashes of color dancing around in my brain when I listen to music. As a teenager, I often listened to techno & house music underneath a blacklight and I'd just go nuts- I never needed drugs because my brain was creative enough on it's own.

Any ADHD musicians here with their own tunes to share? I'm sure the community would love to hear them!

11 Replies
oldestnewest

Everyday of my life practically. I play 15 instruments and listen to a massive eclectic amount of music of different styles. I also act, paint, draw, and do a large amount of impressions. Creativity and ADHD go hand in hand.

Here is my latest album, it is a Jazz Fusion/ Prog album, which contains styles and scales from all over the world, and different decades.

open.spotify.com/artist/1PG...

My Youtube channel is called: Wilhelm the Esoteric. I have other albums and some videos on Inattentive ADHD on there as well.

3 likes

Wonderful! I really like your "Channel Surfing on Neon Prism" song. Has a nice flow (and good visuals).

LOL. I'm so disorganized, I end up uploading my tunes to random websites that make them hard to access later and I always forget where I put them.

I got bored with music last year (again... for the 100th time) and so I sold a bunch of my stuff. Before I did this, I had a really short career as a club DJ, until I got bored... notice the pattern?

I managed to dig this tune up that I wrote shortly before quitting. Would probably be a cool tune if I finished it, but the energy in it always puts me in a good mood.

clyp.it/isc31ero

1 like

Killer track man, "Don't Stop". Very catchy

1 like

Thanks man. Speaking of visuals, that song was inspired by my trips to the mall as a kid in the early 90s. The aesthetic of malls during that time was vibrant, geometric, lots of plants/palm trees, beautiful geometric water fountains and rather avant-garde objects. The song is in 3 parts. The 1st part is walking through the mall and seeing all that. 2nd part is much more tranquil emphasizing my long walks through stores that sold beds, furniture etc. that usually had very soothing exotic ambiance style music. And the last part is emphasing playing in mall arcades of the time and the dreamy like atmosphere it brought fourth. It essentially is meant to take the viewer through a visually stimulating trip through the mall of the past. I'm gonna make a video for it eventually.

Sorry to hear that man. I was very disorganized as well before taking my medication and supplements. Getting bored with things and dropping them is a huge ADHD symptom. It's a struggle but we gotta pull through and thankfully there is help. Thanks for sending me your track, I'll check it out

Hi , glad you got over giving up stuff easily, cheers!!

1 like

Music has been a part of my life as long as I can remember. I come from a musical family and grew up singing. I have played guitar, bass, and percussion but I am not very disciplined. I typically don't play songs at all but, rather, embrace my spontaneity and improvise. I have a good ear and can instinctually find the right key and rhythm. A fellow musician called me a noodler which is a title I embrace.

I am also a avid consumer of music. My MP3 collection contains over 36,000 files covering music from all over the world and across gerns. I drive my wife crazy by listening to it in scramble mode.

Wow. I'm very similar with regard to improvising vs just learning to play popular songs. I never was interested in learning other people's music. I had started learning music theory at about the age of 11 and spent all my time composing. I loved learning to improvise because it allows me to compose music much faster.

I found on the guitar how to figure out most rock/pop/blues songs and used to love showing my friends "this is just a 12-bar pattern in this key, etc..." I'd extract the key by ear and with a little noodling on the guitar in about 15 seconds and I'd start soloing over the songs. It's amazing what we accomplish when we're interested in something we love.

Nice. Your story is exactly like my brother and myself. We realized when we got older that the gift of figuring out what scale/song is in and being able to mimmick the riff within seconds is called having good "relative pitch". I've been a music instructor since 2008 (I teach piano, guitar, bass, drums, vocals) and was under the impression that having good relative pitch was due to having ADHD. I'm currently in grad school to become a Psychology MFT and have studied ADHD for a few years and noticed that some of my ADHD diagnosed music clients have absolutely no ear, borderline tone deaf. This led me to believe that not everyone who has ADHD has relative pitch down packed, that comes down to genetics, but having ADHD does help out with the creative outlet.

That's very interesting about the psychology degree! I'm actually in the doctorate computer science program @ University of Maryland primarily focused on machine learning. I've considered trying to do some data science on ADHD datasets to see if I can learn or model any interesting patterns based on data from research and studies.

I have not had much luck finding good data but I admit I have not looked exhaustively either. Let me know if you come across any such studies/datasets in your travels through the psychology program. Would be neat to collaborate or learn from each other.

Props on the degree and getting into the program, I hear the math classes are intense (I hate math, due to my condition haha).

Sounds good man, lets keep in touch on here. I'm working on a ADHD film covering the issues Inattentive types go through from the elementary school through adulthood, gonna include hyperactive and combined types scenes as well. I finished the script for it last year. I want to put the word out there about this condition most of us have, and the daily struggle it is for some of us. I finished all the elementary school scenes (wasn't easy, especially with kids haha), and just started the middle school scenes yesterday.

You may also like...