ADHD Parents Together
7,701 members2,365 posts

I keep loosing my tempter

Hello community,

I need some advice/help. I have a tendency to loose my tempter with my daughter who has ADHD. I can go days, weeks, even month keeping my cool and staying calm. Then at times, I will loose my temper and sometimes I semi loose control. Today, I physically removed her from the car and while looking in her pocket, ended up ripping her coat. This is not good for her or me. I know that it is not her intention and she has difficulty controlling herself at times, but I loose that thought and loose my temper. Of course, anytime something like this happens, I am very upset with myself. Are there any suggestions?

Today was something silly, she had a ring in her pocket which was requested not be brought anymore since it has caused problems. But all morning I could tell it was a fast day. Now I am worried I have set her entire day off to a bad start and her school day will be a mess. Really feeling hopeless.

9 Replies
oldestnewest

I have been thier many times. Try to take sometime out to calm down. We are all human we will lose are temper every now and then apologize and start over. I wish I could give you better advice

3 likes

To a large extent, just knowing that it is not only myself makes me feel better. Thanks for the simple advice:)

2 likes

I agree, give yourself a break. We are human and they can sure push buttons. I know what you mean about having a bad morning and worrying all day about how they are doing. Half the time the answer is ok.

3 likes

All too true. Her wonderful teacher comforted her and she ended up having a great day. I worried for nothing...

I’ve been there too. My son got on the counter top and pulled down a piece of cabinet one morning last week. I lost my temper and it did set the tone for his day. The next day he was diagnosed with ADD.

I’m trying to keep calm and consistent. I have noticed diet is huge and good Rest. This group has helped a lot! Stay strong we are all there!

2 likes

I lose my temper frequently with my 9 year olds. When that happens I will sometimes apologize and always try to “repair” as quickly as possible i.e. try to connect emotionally. They seem to get over things much more quickly than I do. They’re kids and move on quickly. I’ve heard said that kids are pretty flexible and when it comes down to it as long as they have a loving caregiver they usually turn out pretty good. So give yourself a break. You’re doing a great job in a tough situation.

2 likes

Hello Folks,

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for all the support. I have been doing my best to keep my emotions under control, and know that I am NOT alone is helpful Thanks community:)

I totally understand..

One thing which was suggested to me was the exercise. I started working out 20-30 minutes a day about two months ago and it greatly helped. Every day is still not perfect, but it certainly helps.

You may also like...