After the lengthy discussion yesterday around the new HealthUnlocked, I thought I'd step in to comment on some of the bigger concerns people have to clear things up a bit. It's always best for HU to respond directly since we have much better insight on what is going on with our site ("the bigger picture") than individual admins do, understandably.
I want to start off by mentioning that creating a new HealthUnlocked site was imperative. The old site was reaching a capacity that meant we could simply no longer handle the amount of users we had without it having major effects on the site's speed and functionality. We needed to think big because HealthUnlocked is quickly going global - we recently launched our site in Spanish and Portuguese!
Many of the changes we've made to this site were actually in response to continued feedback from our users and admins. That's why we always recommend that if you have an opinion on something, please speak up! We want to hear from you.
Here are some comments on particular issues you've mentioned:
- The community seems quieter than normal: There is one main reason why traffic to HealthUnlocked has slowed, and it is because of an issue we simply have not been able to solve yet - issues with daily notification emails and notification emails in general. We are still actively working to bring everything back to normal.
- News feed as the home page: The main reason for this function is for the many people who are part of multiple communities. It gives a place where 'feeds' of all communities you are part of can be gathered in one place, similar to the Facebook timeline homepage. If you aren't part of any other HU communities, you can access the community directly (skip the news feed homepage) by going to healthunlocked.com/vasculit... I'd suggest to bookmark this link or add it to your Favourites.
- Accessing old blogs (posts): We apologise if you are under the impression that your old information is lost! This is absolutely not the case. At the moment, we haven't been able to focus our efforts on making sure you can see all your old content, but I assure you that as soon as we are able to, we will make it all available and easily searchable
- People in my area: This is a functionality we have done away with since, to be honest, it was something that was hardly used on a larger scale across HealthUnlocked. We do plan to reintroduce something similar to the sort, but we still need to work out the functionality of it.
- 'Read a post' indication: This is a good idea and something we can consider implementing. Thank you for the suggestion.
On behalf of my team here at HealthUnlocked, we want to assure you that we are listening to you and doing the very best we can to get things back to normal, or even better than that, as quickly as possible. It is true that, being a very small team, the creation of this new site was a HUGE job to take on that had unforeseen circumstances that have caused us to be held back from where we had hoped to be in our progress to this point. But I assure you we have your best interests in mind and want this site to be the best it can be! We have some pretty huge aspirations, it's just taking a bit more time than we thought to implement them.
Please feel free to share your thoughts on this - if you have specific feedback it's always best to contact our support team through this form here: support.healthunlocked.com/...