Anyone have a hoarse voice?

I started a few weeks ago with a hoarse voice which is quite gravelly now, I also have started with a pain on the left side of the inside of my throat when swallowing..lowest part of throat before clavicle area starts. . This is worst when I haven't spoken for a while or drank. I have no sore throat or inflammed tonsills.

Doctor has referred me and on her examination she couldn't feel any lumps.

:-)

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi,

I used to get this before diagnosis. I could not talk for anything upto a month and it occurred 3 times a year.

Is it possible you need some more Levo or equivalent?

• Yes, it comes and goes. Worse when i am tired and stressed and thyroid is off kilter

• hi all yes i have the last couple of days and sore on right side back of throat been to gp today she says its the thyroid and the noduals . she took blood test today coz of weight loss been underactive 2 years now no weight gain.oh when she took blood today ended up with a raised red line on the vain she took blood from she said it was thrombosis so prescribed asprin , cheers paul

• Hi - yes I get this. As Bluedaffodil said, it's worse when I get tired or stressed. Sometimes it lasts for a day or a few days, sometimes just an hour or so. I have had this for some years since being diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I am just starting a trial of T3 to go with my T4 so will see if things improve (I have the horse voice and tight feeling in my throat today).

Best wishes

Kathy

• Thanks for replies, I am undiagnosed at the moment but hAve many under active symptoms, this is a new one. Bloods All in ranges although borderline. Been referred to endo.

I ask as swallowing and talking is painful and wondered if this is normal and is there anything I can do to ease it?

Tia x

• My voice goes hoarse when I am tired.

• It's alwaya good thing to get a hoarse voice checked out with an ENT check as it is not always thyroid. I put off telling my doctor that I had it because I assumed itwas my Hypothyroid condition and three months later when I was referred it turned out to be a nodule on my Larynx, benign thank goodness but it's always better to check.

• Thanks, my doctor did say is I am still,like this in 10 days Togo back and I will be urgently referred.

I have noticed today it's worse, when I try to speak and look up its really husky, and then changes when neck normal angle, I'm getting a little concerned really, I can't feel anything but then I am overweight so probably hinders any physical examination. :-(

• Your weight will have nothing to do with any examination, that is done with a little tube that goes up your nose and down to your voice box so they can have a good look. I have had it done with no anaesthetic many times but you can have a spray or a gel to make it more comfortable.

• Thanks for the reply, the doctor had a feel of my neck, not had any cameras done. I am still hoarse and discomfort when swallowing so think I will give it another week then go back.

• I have posted the same thing, I am going to see the ENT so we will see,but I am also going to mention possible spasmodic Dysphonia and see what they say. Like you I had a soreness on the lefthand side, but my GP says she cannot feel anything and doesn't think it is anything nasty. last time I lost my voice like this was in 2007 and I went 7 months without any real treatment, as the ENT could not find anything, I suspect it was SD then too. I was told not to drink anything with caffine in it, no alchol, tea or coffee, but to drink plenty of water. I hope you get to see the ENT soon, they are pretty quick at getting an appointment.

You may also like...