Does anyone have a problem with continual mucus in the throat?

I was diagnosed hypo approx 2years ago and have had the problem since long before then. Doctor just shrugs his shoulders (same old same old). I have to say it has improved a little but it is still there...worse when I eat though. It is driving me mad. I am on 100 mcg of levothyroxine and have 'within range' levels. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

23 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Same here, on levothyroxine and within range levels, i have fibromyalgia, and mucus in my thoat, itchy eyes, etc, seeing an endricrinologist next tuesday, will let you know how i get on.

• Thank you so much for your reply hypodi....it is a nightmare isnt it !?...hope all goes well with the endricinologist. I just dont know where to go from here...my doctor is next door to useless, my next blood test isnt till October but I know he will say the usual "within range". Please do let me know how you get on....have they given you any reason for the excess mucus??? Kindest regards Maz

• I make continous excess mucas in my throat and mouth, but I have have multinodular goitres and think the reason is the enlargement interfering with swallowing.

Best wishes Helen

• I find that dairy products make phlegm worse.

• Hi Guys. I used to have lots of problems like you until I discovered I had Coeliac Disease. There's lots of research linking Thyroid and Coeliac together as they're both auto-immune diseases. Often Drs palm patients off with telling them they have CFS, Fibro, or IBS. May be worth asking your Endo about CD at your next appointment. Or hop over to our site and ask any questions on GFGs.

• I have those symptoms too and I am having a test for Ceoliac in a few weeks. My doc agreed because I cut Gluten/Wheat from my diet for 2 weeks and felt much better(although not recommended because you then have to go back on normal food for 8 weeks before you can be tested) but the hospital referred me to a nutritionist because of my weight gain and I went through everything with her and she agreed I should be tested.

I still have abnormal Thyroid function but not enough to treat it. Maybe one is causing the other??????

I will keep you informed

• Thanks everyone...do you know I thought I was totally on my own with this problem. I have started conjuring up all sorts of problems in my head! Now I know that it is possibly linked to my thyroid problem I feel so much better. I have never been to an endo and think it may be a good idea to ask my doctor to refer me as he seems to think that if the 100mcg levothyroxine hasnt made me feel better then "there must be something else wrong with me" and dismisses me like a naughty child!

• Me too! i have had it for 6 months since i was diagnosed subhypo (nothing 'sub' about it i can tell you!) after thyroid antibodies of 175.8 and tsh of 5.6. its just clean stringy mucus thats drives me NUTS!! i'm always hacking up like a cat with a furball LOL I have given up with my doctor and he has run every other blood test known to man and they are all 'satisfactory'. However even with 100 mg of levo and vitamins i still struggle with everyday life. which is sad because i eat a very healthy diet, excercise 3 or 4 times a week and dont smoke (barely drink as well).

I often feel like no one understands - apart from when i come on here, and i feel juuuust a little more normal as everyone on here seems to be going through exactly the same problems. worse part is i'm only 30 but feel about 100 most days!

Anyone got advice on how to change doctors/get more advice?

anyone else wake up with a sore throat most mornings?

All i can say is THANK GOD for this forum, it keeps me sane when sometimes i feel like i'm cracking up!!! LOL

Nikki xxx

• We are all in the same boat Nikki....doctors dont treat a thyroid problem as a "real" illness just a minor inconvenience! You get raised eyebrows if you mention tiredness-aching limbs-mucus in the throat and are made to feel like you are wasting their time! As you say "thank god for this forum" it has taught me so much about my illness and makes you realise that you are not on your own. We just have to hope that, by some miracle, one day someone will listen to us! Until that time we must keep hacking lol! All my best wishes Maz xxx

• I have it too! And a constant post nasal drip!! I am told it is allergic rhinitis - but to what I have no idea. Probably just another fob off! Hey ho! But the nose spray I has does help - its called nasonex. (I think that's how you spell it).

• Thanks for the reply Kaz, isnt it a total nightmare! I have started worrying about what I eat incase that is sparking it off. What I cant understand is that some days its worse than others...it is sooo embarassing. I read somewhere (cant remember where as I have been searching for an answer for so long) that tea is not good for us? Anyhow I now limit myself to one cup in the morning & drink water the rest of the day. Still got it though!!! I will try the nasal spray & see if that helps thanks Kindest regards Maz x

• I have had the same problem for the past 14 months, I am very hoarse in the morning which is very annoying and post nasal drip, GP gave ne antibiotics, sprays and sent me to the Hospital where I had a camera thing put up my nose, consultant said he could find nothing wrong apart from mucus and that we get that with age (49) he "prescribed" drinking fizzy water as it breaks up mucus apparently, it did not work though...just gave me wind! my GP laughed when I told her but I feel far from laughing, I have so many strange ailments starting to just want to go to bed and stay there for ever

• Hi sometimes the body can react to things eg. allergic rhinitis all year around is something I have had since a kid. It did clear up a lot when I discovered I had Coeliac Disease yet in the summer and when the heating is on it gets worse. You could ask for a referral for allergy testing. Often dust mite allergy is a big problem for a lot of people. Buy mattress protectors (eg Boots, John Lewis), avoid carpet flooring indoors and go for wooden floors, wipe dust with a wet cloth, try taking an anti-histamine (ck with pharmacist that it won't interfere with other drugs you are using). Have you also tried reducing your lactose or diary items? I've been put on a contraceptive pill to balance my hormones and ever since I've had a gluey mouth and more catarrh. It could be hormonal, the sugars/ lactose in the pill or just the spring weather. Either way anti-histamines work well for me. I find hot herbal teas work best first thing in the morning as do Fishermen's Friends to suck on during the day ! The fizzy drinks will make things worse with all the sorbital, sugars etc in them. Doctors eh?! Nettle Tea, and Fennel tea are good to take as they are full of handy vitamins and help to reduce any yeast overgrowth which could be causing the mucus. Keep a food diary and see if you can spot any foods that maybe triggering in it? Sometimes natural histamines in wine, chest etc or sulphites can cause problems.

• Thanks Fiona...I think you are right in everything you say...I do believe now that it is allergy related....I have stopped drinking calorie free drinks and drink bottled water instead and have found the problem is a bit better. I am also noticing the mucus increases when I eat dairy so that is now a no no. My doctor is useless he makes me feel like I am being a nuisance. My dad had SLE (Lupus) and myself and my brothers have all sorts of auto immune problems it was having the lupus test that I discovered the thyroid problem..but I feel far from better even with the 100mcg levo. The doctor has never explained anything to me...I dont even know if my thyroid problem is auto immune related...without this forum I would be lost!!!! My next blood test is not until October but I already know they will come back in 'normal' range lol. I just cant be bothered with the doctors anymore and rely instead on this forum and the wonderful people on it. Thanks for your help luv Maz x

• Since being given Levothyroxine 75mg after Carbimozole alone, I have developed terrible runny nose that wakes me up. I also have asthma which appears to have got worse, but I am guessing it is because of the thyroxin. Also blowing nose all the time, and nothing clears it. Will report back after Endo appointment in March, when I will ask the questions about this situation.

• If you are still suffering from asthma, I would like to share with you what we did. We have used the patches called, Kinotakara very successfully to clear up my husband's asthma. If you ever want to try it, you have to be persistent (buy at least 4-5 boxes. 10 patches in each box.) The patches work by pulling toxins from the body's lymph fluids through our acupuncture points. One of the points linked to the lungs are located under the feet just behind the three middle toes, and going towards the middle of the foot. Best results are achieved when the feet are soaked in warm water for 5-10 minutes, then put one patch on each foot for every night until the patches are gone. You can expect dark slime in the patch after wearing them overnight. Remove patch in the morning and wash the area with warm soapy water. Warning: DON'T BUY ANY OTHER PATCHES THAN KINOTAKARA. Other patches DO NOT have enough negative ions in them. Instead of pulling junk out from your body through the lymph fluids via the acupuncture points, they will put whatever is in the patch into your body.

• I have it. Its doing my nut in. I can never clear it. Just a constant annoying lump low in my throat. I have had a camera down there and been told its all clear and fine and its not actually there. Its a sensation due to having pro longed acid reflux. Just a load of crap really cos they will never say mmm I dont actually know.

• I used to be on Levothyroxine (100) and had bad post nasal drip and sinus issues. Then I switched to desiccated thyroid and the post nasal drip went away. Recently I went back on the Levothyroxine at my doctor's request and the sinus and post nasal drip problems returned. I didn't make the connection until I went back on the Levothyroxine and I realized I hadn't felt like this since the last time I was on it.

• Thank you for this Moonshoes. My original post was four years ago and I am still suffering from this. Could you please tell me how to get desiccated thyroid? I wake up during the night feeling like I am choking and every morning it takes about a litre of water before my throat is anything like clear. I would be grateful for any help......thank you again

• Hi. I'm from the US, so I'm not sure what options are available to you in the UK. Here is an informative website about problems with Levothyroxine (Synthroid): stopthethyroidmadness.com/ The desiccated brand I used that worked was made by Erfa "Thyroid." It's made in Canada. Hope this helps.

• Thank you Moonshoes, the article made very interesting reading. Now to convince my doctor that this would be worth trying. It would be brilliant, if after all these years, a solution could be within my reach. Thank you again.

• Been on thyroid med since about 14 years old. I am 54 now... I seemed to do good on thyroxine or synthroid over the years but now I wake up and have a coughing fit to clear all the mucous build up. Once cleared after about 20 minutes of not being able to breathe well which can be scary I do great the rest of the day. Also it seems like if I reduce the amount of thyroid med my restless leg syndrome meds work better. I think my restless leg syndrome is caused by me not having a thyroid but not 100% sure. Anyhow I guess my question is do u think my thyroid mess is causing mucous buildup overnight and coughing in the morning to clear out mucus buildup?

• Hello. I'm new here. I started googling about post nasal drip in connection with thyroid hormone, and YES, I found Moonshoe who has something that is parallel to my case. My story is: severe chronic post nasal drip during 29 years now. 50 % help when using sertraline (for depression and anxiety). 50 % help when using venlafaxine (again depr + anx). Now, with latest period with venlafaxine, I have used Insomin 0,25 mg per night which helps relieve anxiety the next day. But along with Insomin, post nasal drip came back almost fully. Now I have started trying Erfa thyroid, for depression and fatigue, although there is no diagnosis of low thyroid according to most physicians that have seen me. With it, I get 80 % relief to post nasal drip, even when I take the half Insomin pill. Sertraline and venlafaxine are SNRI drugs, and it is obviously the anticholinergic effect which helps post nasal drip. Then about Erfa thyroid, I don't know what it could be that helps, maybe I'm in fact low on T3 in some way. I have discovered that post nasal drip immediately goes away when I sit at table to eat, and when I use chewing gum; this means that in my case post nasal drip is a result of bad functioning of sympathetic vs. parasympathetic nervous system wrt the nerves related to mucus production.

You may also like...