TSH levels: Hello everyone ! Haven't posted for... - Thyroid UK

Thyroid UK

117,075 members135,843 posts

TSH levels

Crete
Crete

Hello everyone !

Haven't posted for ages but just keeping in touch with this site has helped so much .

Saw my endo last week and in preparation for new tests casually mentioned that I thought in the U.K. that the recommended TSH level for a medicated patient was under 1.

He said that I had misunderstood and that this level was only applicable to thyroid cancer patients.

I remember seeing a link given a while ago about this subject - can anyone refresh my memory or give me a link to pass on to him?

Another topic - I really admire all of you who manage to go gluten-free - you are so strong ! I keep trying and it does make such a difference but I am too weak and too much of a pig! I will keep at it!!! Mind you after talking to my endo about it his comment was that it's not in our (Greek) culture! Hmmm - not in the culture to watch your health? Actually now I think about it he could be right......

4 Replies

You are right - it is the aim of a treated thyroid patient to have a TSH of 1 or under. I will tag SeasideSusie from Admin who will give you the required info for your Endo. ☺

Crete
Crete in reply to Marz

Thanks!!!😀

SeasideSusie
SeasideSusieAdministrator

Dr Toft article in Pulse Magazine, "The appropriate dose of levothyroxine is that which restores euthyroidism and serum TSH to the lower part of the reference range - 0.2-0.5mU/l.

In this case, free thyroxine is likely to be in the upper part of its reference range or even slightly elevated – 18-22pmol/l. Most patients will feel well in that circumstance.

But some need a higher dose of levothyroxine to suppress serum TSH and then the serum-free T4 concentration will be elevated at around 24-28pmol/l.

This 'exogenous subclinical hyperthyroidism' is not dangerous as long as serum T3 is unequivocally normal – that is, serum total around T3 1.7nmol/l (reference range 1.0-2.2nmol/l)."

Dr Toft is past president of the British Thyroid Association and leading endocrinologist.

You can obtain a copy of the article by emailing Dionne at tukadmin@thyroiduk.org print it and highlight question 6 to show your doctor.

Information from NHS Leeds Teaching Hospital pathology.leedsth.nhs.uk/pa...

Thyroxine Replacement Therapy in Primary Hypothyroidism

TSH Level ...... This Indicates

0.2 - 2.0 miu/L ...... Sufficient Replacement

> 2.0 miu/L ...... Likely under Replacement

Marz
Marz in reply to SeasideSusie

Thank you for coming to the rescue 😊

You may also like...