Thyroid UK
84,174 members99,155 posts

Problem with Teva levothyroxine - New Formulation

I have just received my prescription for Levothyroxine but it is now TEVA - New Formulation. Within hours I was itching and had red pin prick spots all over. My pharmacist said she could not change my brand as it was the only one she used so gave me antihistamen which cools it down but I still itch. I have taken levothyroxine for years without any side effects but this one is unreal. What can I do? I dont want to keep taking the antihistamen. I also felt really unwell and very tired.

3 Replies
oldestnewest

You can and should take it back

Load and loads of people have reported problems with Teva

healthunlocked.com/search/t...

You can put in a yellow card too

yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk

You may have to ring GP for new prescription, if Pharmacist is unhelpful.

1 like

Lots of people have had problems with TEVA Levothyroxine both before and after the reformulation. search this forum with the search term TEVA and you will see.

Ring around pharmacies and find an independent one that is not tied into a suppliers contract. Ask them to supply whatever you were on before then make a yellow card report via the MHRA who are the regulators for Human Medicines. Notify your GP too and give them a copy of the MHRA Review of Levothyroxine. 2013 review of Levothyroxine, Quality and Clinical Considerations. Most GPs have no idea about the recent historical problems with Levothyroxine but they do need to know. Most Endo's don't know either. I assume most CCGs don't know either.

The quality of our lives depends on the quality of our hormone medication so don't mess about. Your pharmacist is unreasonable and irresponsible to expect you to keep taking antihistamine. Clearly you're reacting to the tablets and who knows what other symptoms will emerge in time if you keep taking it. Everything with thyroid is slow.

2 likes

Kinipela2,

If your pharmacist won't order your previous brand for you tell her you will have to go elsewhere for your prescriptions and any other goods you buy from the pharmacy. If she won't budge then you will need to get a new prescription from your GP and take it elsewhere and make it clear that they must not supply Teva.

You can report the Teva adverse reaction via yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

3 likes

You may also like...