Thyroid UK

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and have been started on carbimazole 5mg 3 times a day and I got told it would help with my mythesmia gravis is this true? At the moment I just feel like screaming I am currently taking 13 tablets a day to try make my day to day life easier but nothing seems to be working. Just need to know if there us light at the end of the tunnel.

3 Replies

Welcome to the forum, Anouskalouise.

There is apparently an association with Graves hyperthyroidism and myasthenis gravis. Carbimazole will block thyroid production to control the hyperthyroidism. I don't know whether Carbimazole will also improve MG. Have a look through the links in

1 like

Don’t know much about myasthenia gravis, but I do have Graves, and some of the symptoms - eg breathlessness, muscle weakness, tiredness - do seem similar, so I guess they may get better as the carbimazole kicks in. Carbimazole inhibits production of thyroid hormones, it doesn’t deal with stored hormone, so it takes a week or two to take effect, and you are on quite a low dose.

Hope you feel better soon !

1 like

Can I ask if you take any thyroid medication? Hopefully the carbimazole should help thankyou for your reply :)

You may also like...