I have recently had my 8 week blood results back after starting lyvothyroxine 25mcg. My TSH level was down to 3.4 and free T4 at 16. (Blood draw taken at 9am without having taken medication/breakfast).
My initial blood results in August were;
Serum TSH level 4.9 mu/l (Reference range 0.30- 6.00mu/l)
Serum free T4 level 13.9 pmol/L (Reference range 10.00- 22.00 pmol/L)
I saw a fertility doctor after having 1 miscarriage in Feb who suggested that there was evidence that getting the tosh below 3 may assist response to fertility treatment. I don't plan to have any fertility treatment, I just wanted to establish if there was an underlying cause for miscarriage before trying again.
My questions are;
- should I push for a further dose increase to 50mcg to get my TSH levels to below 3?
- if I was to begin to take 50mcg how long would it take to get my tsh below 3?
- I am hoping to start trying to conceive asap- I have heard the free T4 is the relevant number for the foetus - is my level sufficient for this?
- as I was only ever a borderline case of hypothyroidism- my understanding is that the nice guidelines re sub clinical hypothyroidism and trying to conceive don't apply- is sub clinical and borderline the same thing?
- I have been told fertility doctors and IVF doctors like the tsh below 2 before starting treatment- does this 'optimum' apply to the normal population or just those seeking IVF etc
Thank you so much in advance for your help i really appreciate any advice you can give me