Test results TSH 2.06 T4 10.6

I will try to be brief.

I went to see my doctor back in August 2016 because I had various symptoms, extreme tiredness, feeling cold, unable to exercise, palpitations etc but my main concern was that I had lost a lot of body hair including my eyebrows and under arm hair.

Since then I have noticed that my pubic hair is sparse too.

The doctor immediately said that I had an underactive thyroid and sent me for a blood test but the result came back normal which she was very surprised about.

These are the results that I have received over the last year but I am told that they're normal even though my most recent ones have changed.

Can anyone give me their opinion on this please. Should I push for treatment or are these results still enough within range to be normal.

August 2016

TSH level 1.65 miu/L [0.35 - 5.5]

free T4 level 13.5 pmol/L [10 - 19.8]

December 2016

TSH level 1.66 mU/L [0.35 - 5.5]

free T4 level 10.3 pmol/L [10.0 - 19.8]

June 2017

TSH level 2.06 mU/L [0.35 - 5.5]

Serum free T4 level 10.6 pmol/L [10.0 - 19.8]

Skip

Featured Content

Join our community

The community helps everyone affected by thyroid conditions by providing support, information and guidance.

Follow

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Low everything (Ft4 and TSH - and Ft3) means secondary/central hypothyrodism - the thyroid is fine but the pituitary, which is where TSH is produced, isn't telling the thyroid to produce hormones because it, or the hypothalamus (the previosu step in the chain) is not working correctly. GPs are not trained to recognise it or treat it, and I would mention it to your GP and ask for an endo referral (pref to one on the list you can get from louise.roberts@thyroiduk.org.uk)

  • I went to see a 3rd doctor today and was told that I am probably stressed and that is why I have lost so much hair! He said that I am stressing about it and it is making it worse.

    I pointed out that my T4 is only .6 within range and asked if I had to wait until all my hair fell out before they would treat me. I said that my body is telling me something and everybody is ignoring it! etc etc.

    I said that although I have T4 in my system, maybe it is not being absorbed. I also said that my T3 hadn't been checked, to which he said that T3 is irrelevant.

    I pointed out that normal levels are not necessarily normal for everyone. He said it's normal for 95% of people. I said that maybe I am in the remaining 5% but he would not budge.

    I told him that my sister and two aunt's have an under active thyroid gland. I also asked to be referred to an endocrinologist.

    It all fell on deaf ears, he said that if he treated me with thryroxine then it could cause heart damage.

    I am so frustrated argh!!

  • Argh I feel your frustration. I've just got off the phone from the endocrinologist who told me to lower my thyroxine even further even though my t3 is under range, t4 bottom of range but TSH is suppressed. He told me t3 and t4 were irrelevant. He wants my TSH around 2. I've told him how much worse I feel on reduced dose and he said it's because I shouldn't be taking any medication at all. SO frustrating. He says I have graves even though hashimotos has been confirmed. Be very careful which endocrinologist you go to!

You may also like...