Globulins... Is there a link between high Anti-Thyroglobulin Antibodies, high Immunoglobulin A (IgA) and low C4 (Complement Component 4)?

I recently went through my medical history as I have been Very disheartened and frustrated by GPs and my case...

Although these results may span years, I wonder if they are helpful still and whether they show a bigger picture. Of course it'd be best to have recent results for my C4 but good luck with that lol...

So here's my results:

Anti-Thyroglobulin Abs 484.8 <115 in December 2016

Immunoglobulin A 4.6 g/L (0.7-4) in January 2017

C4 220mg/L (200-500) in 2009

Please note I'm looking back through my history as I've had hypothyroid symptoms since early 1990s when I was a teenager. And earlier signals of struggling immune system even in the 80s with a severe bout of glandular fever when I was 8 yrs old...

My dr agrees the thyroid antibodies could be Hashimoto's. But he dismissed the IgA result because it wasn't flagged by my previous GP (during a celiac test) despite it being slightly out of range. But I found online high IgA can be an early sign of Lupus or RA (which I have some symptoms of...)

Low C4 test - I was never told about this result as it was Just in range. But I found online it can be a marker of autoimmune disease too.

But what fascinates me is these 3 things (thyroid antibodies, IgA and C4) are all globulin-related... what does this mean?

Thank you for any insight xx

Skip

Featured Content

Join our community

The community helps everyone affected by thyroid conditions by providing support, information and guidance.

Follow

Featured by HealthUnlocked

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • Tinkerbell22,

Globulins are proteins in the blood. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globulin

Thyroglobulin is specific to the thyroid. Thyroglobulin antibodies are positive for autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's). There is no cure for Hashimoto's which causes 90% of hypothyroidism. Treatment is for the low thyroid levels it causes. Many people have found that 100% gluten-free diet is helpful in reducing Hashi flares, symptoms and eventually antibodies.

chriskresser.com/the-gluten...

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

You may also like...