nail loss

hi I am concerned what is happening to my fingernails they grow to about a quarter way up the nail bed then the ends of the new growth turn a whitish colour, eventually as they grow up they completely come away from the nail bed also as they start to re-grow (which takes months ) they are bumpy and disfigured apart from looking awful the tips of my fingers are sore without having any nails to protect them, I have graves which fluctuates but is under control with carbimazole doctor does not have any answers I am at my wits end as to know what is causing this any help would be appreciated

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Frian,

Ask your GP to refer you to a dermatologist.

nailpro.com/nail-clinic-ony...

• Having graves can affect your nails. (Plummers nail) I'm surprised your doctor doesn't know this.

I agree with the other member. Ask your doctor for a referral.

Good luck

• There can be many reasons but thyroid can be one of them so when you get an appointment don't forget to mention yours.

• Hi, Sounds like you're possibly under-medicated - Plummer's nails are a symptom of thyrotoxicosis. Please show this to your doctor...

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

• thank you so much for this information it makes interesting reading, my t4 and TSH were in range at my last blood test but I feel so ill just now so I will talk to my Dr. and see what he says ,again thank you for the support

You may also like...