Diluting Levothyroxine in Water?

One time I took the pill without water, after an hour I noticed it is still in my throat and I had to drink water to let it go through to my stomach ... that day I felt extreme fatigue .. I'm sure it is because of the medicine was unstable by the time it was my gut for absorption. I know this because I got theses symptoms when my medication once exposed to high temp.

So, what about Diluting Levothyroxine in Water? Is it a good idea?

Skip

Featured Content

Join our community

The community helps everyone affected by thyroid conditions by providing support, information and guidance.

Follow

Featured by HealthUnlocked

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Ali1101,

Levothyroxine is designed to be swallowed and washed down with water. If you don't have a problem swallowing tablets without water why do you need to dilute Levothyroxine in water?

• No problems but I thought that the longer it takes the pill to be absorbed the worse the quality will be. Not sure I'm just assuming this!

• Ali1101,

Washing the tablet into the stomach will ensure that it is broken down by stomach acid and absorbed. Dry swallowing pills can prevent them reaching the stomach and if they stick in the gullet they can cause ulceration.

• Levothyroxine swells in water. This is why it should always be swallowed properly with sufficient water to wash it into the stomach completely as soon as it goes in the mouth. Getting it stuck in the throat is a known issue for people who don't drink it with enough water.

I can't see why you would want to dissolve it in water, and I don't think it would be a good idea. Just take it with the water instead. If you dissolved it you could end up losing some of it stuck to the side of the glass or left in the drops of water that don't come out in the bottom of the glass.

• This is based on my assumption see my reply to Clutter. May be the absorption can be improved with Levo dissolved in water.

• I doubt it. It is manufactured to be absorbed by the stomach.

• The ideal way to take levothyroxine is with one full glass of water otherwise there is danger of it swelling on your throat.

• I'm terrible at swallowing pills so I use a pill cutter. The protective layer in my NDT was relatively thick so cutting it can only speed up absorbition - creating a greater surface area and all that.

I've had pill stick in my throats and burn me. It was horrific - think it was some old anti anxiety meds.

You may also like...