Does your nose run when you eat?

I'm sure I discover a new symptom every month. So recently I've noticed that my nose runs every time I have a meal. At first I thought it was because I was having something spicy. I'm not a fan of spicy food anyway but I've noticed this even with completely bland food and also breakfast. My breakfast always consists of protein, carbs and fat as do my other meals.

I also forget about it whilst eating and then all of a sudden I have to get up and grab a tissue to mop up my nose. Does anybody else have this?

Skip

Featured Content

Join our community

The community helps everyone affected by thyroid conditions by providing support, information and guidance.

Follow

Featured by HealthUnlocked

31 Replies

oldestnewest
  • My nose runs all the time ☹️

• It's strange isn't it. I've finished eating dinner but actually my nose is still running. It definitely starts when I first begin to eat and it's so embarrassing when you're with other people.

• I go through packets of tissues.

Gustatory rhinitis:- This occurs after eating, especially hot and spicy foods. Vagus nerve activity causes nasal vasodilation. This results in watery rhinorrhoea. Typically, this occurs two hours after ingestion. The elderly are particularly prone to this condition. Occasionally, specific dyes or food preservatives can cause the same reaction.

• That's really interesting. I wonder if it's linked to the thyroid.

• <<Having an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism) can be another hormonal cause. It is thought to be due to turbinate oedema resulting from the release of thyrotropic hormone release>>

patient.info/doctor/non-all... scroll down to hormonal......

• Really interesting SolsticeSS thank you.

• There are lots of links on here about post nasal drip.

• I've had a runny nose under all sorts of conditions for a long time. But now it seems to have moved on a bit. Instead of being runny a lot of the time it is now extremely dry, irritated, itchy and crusty, interspersed with times when it runs.

I had the same sequence of events with my eyes. Watery for years and now dry and itchy most of the time.

I actually bought something from Boots today called Nosegel. I haven't tried it yet. This stuff :

amazon.co.uk/d/Health-Perso...

And having searched for Nosegel, I just spotted something off-topic but hilarious. This is NOT the stuff I bought, but I almost wish it was. :D

dailymail.co.uk/health/arti...

• I never seem to stumble across off-topic stuff like that :) :)

Very glad you did, has tickled me no end - ooh er Mrs!

• I've had the crusty variation over the Winter. I'm sure it's got something to do with the heating being on.

Anyway, I found coconut oil rubbed onto the painful crusts was brilliant. It seemed to dissolve them right up.

• Thanks for the tip! A lot cheaper than the Nosegel stuff I bought and I always have it in stock. :)

• I just noticed yesterday that the stuff I bought isn't called Nosegel, it's called Nasogel. :P

Anyway, I'm just writing in to report that, much to my surprise, it is absolutely brilliant stuff. I still plan to try coconut oil when it runs out though. Nasogel is rather expensive stuff (by my standards).

• Haha nosegel sounds more amusing 😜

I'm sure a natural product like coconut oil is far better for you too 👍

• Good to know! Is the Nasogel for loosening hard crusts? Or does it do other things?

• My nose, nowadays, feels unpleasantly dry most of the time. And then it runs. Then it dries up and gets crusty. Repeat over and over again.

The gel softens everything up and makes my nose moist in a comfortable way. Blowing my nose then gets rid of crusts and doesn't hurt. Without the gel, crusts can sometimes feel like they are being ripped off when I blow my nose. And then my nose starts to bleed. And the cycle continues...

To use an analogy it is like the difference between having severe eczema on the hands and having really smooth, soft hands that feel nice.

Edit : Oh, another thing. My nose doesn't itch any more either.

• Poor you :( Long may the smooth softness continue :)

• Sounds like allergic reaction.

• Etiology

The etiology of turbinate dysfunction is multifactorial. Because the turbinates have a very rich blood supply and are governed by the parasympathetic nervous system, anything that affects either of these 2 systems affects the turbinates and, hence, the nose. [1]

Allergic rhinitis is the most common cause of turbinate dysfunction. Allergic rhinitis is due to environmental allergens that come in contact with the nasal membranes, causing an inflammatory reaction and resultant congestion and increased drainage. This category is so large that any nonallergic cause of turbinate dysfunction is known as vasomotor rhinitis. Vasomotor is a term that indicates the neurovascular control of the nasal membranes. Causes of vasomotor rhinitis include, but are not limited to, the use of cardiovascular and antihypertensive drugs, female hormones, changes in temperature, and rhinitis of disuse.

Any medication a patient takes that stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system can also affect the turbinate mucosa and cause congestion. Female hormones, specifically progesterone, may have a similar effect; therefore, congestion can frequently be experienced during the premenstrual phase of the menstrual cycle and the third trimester of pregnancy. Some female hormone replacement therapy and oral contraceptives that have a higher concentration of progesterone may have similar effects, although a 2006 small clinical study did not demonstrate that effect. [2]

Condensation rhinitis is well known to snow skiers and is due to the reaction of the nasal membranes to the colder outside environment. An equivalent example is that of taking a cold beverage can outside on a hot day and finding condensation developing on the outside of the can.

Rhinitis of disuse occurs in patients who no longer use their noses for airflow (eg, patients who have undergone laryngectomy) or those who abuse topical nasal decongestants (rhinitis medicamentosum). In the first case, the underlying pathophysiology is rebound inflammation due to a lack of feedback from the normal nasal airflow. In the second case, a rebound vasodilation of the turbinates occurs as a response to the topical sympathomimetics.

• Yes I get this but didn't connect it anything to do with the thyroid just thought it was me. It's one of those little things that happens that you are just used to. I also get watery eyes especially outdoors and it can be excessive, constant streaming eyes. Don't know if this is connected also.

• katiekatie your watery eyes are probably dry eyes weirdly enough. Eye drops from Boots opticians can help.

• Thank you, will get some.

• I remember reading that the streaming eyes outside thing - which I occasionally suffered from - could be a mineral lack or imbalance. I use / have used tissue salts ( sometimes called cell salts) for particular issues with, sometimes, huge success. They are German and available where I live though at one point they became unavailable in the UK. A good homeopath might well be able to help with this....

• That's interesting thank you. My mum had the same thing and she is hypo but they operated on her tear ducts. She got a lot of sinus problems but that made things a lot worse for her and didn't help in the long term at all.

• Uggh. Poor Mum. I always shudder when I hear about operations so close to the eyes. I feel that there is often imbalance in our bodies yet it doesn't always require much to rebalance.

• Hello there Serendipitous.

I'm gluten intolerant, and this happens to me when I accidentally eat gluten, Could there be something that you're ingesting which your body finds difficult to tolerate? Hope this helps.

• Hi Camdentown

Well I've been gluten free for a while and now dairy free for a month. Perhaps I'm allergic to something else. It's not a major problem but I wish there was an easy way to prevent this.

• I've recently cut out gluten and found my runny nose has got better.

• I've been gluten free for several months and dairy free for a month. Good to hear its helping you.

• No, but I have an extremely snotty nose morning and evening.

• I have joked for years about having to reach for tissues, during a meal. Never even thought about it being connected to thyroid. My mother was the same, I'm hypo, she was more hyper (with Thyroid cancer) But both had same issue. And dry eyes! And diminished smell...etc...etc...

• This is totally me: nose-drip central!

Didn't realise it was a thyroid-related thing, as have all the allergies and rhinitis anyway

Fascinating...!

You may also like...